Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has filed three new unreleased Mac computers in the Eurasian Economic Database ahead of when the company is expected to hold a rumored Spring event on or around March 8, as first spotted by Consomac.

tim-cook-spring-loaded-event.jpg

The three new Macs, listed with model numbers A2615, A2686, and A2681, are all listed as running macOS Monterey, but no other details including the specific model of the computers are provided. Apple typically files new products in the database, as required by law, near a product launch. Last month, the company filed what is likely to be the upcoming iPhone SE and the next-generation iPad Air.

Apple is working on several new Mac computers to be released this year, and Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has suggested the rumored Spring event will include the launch of "at least one" new Mac. Apple is working on a larger iMac with Apple silicon to replace the Intel-based 27-inch iMac currently in the lineup. A new completely redesigned MacBook Air is also in the works, as is a new Mac mini.

Article Link: Apple Files New Macs in Regulatory Database Ahead of Rumored Spring Event

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
Well A24** is used on all the M1* devices. Does this suggest M2?
Most likely. Apple would be releasing new processors each year, just like they do with the iPhone. Sometimes, there will be some small improvements, but other times we can see more substantial redesign of the silicon with improved architecture. Previously, Apple had to rely on Intel which conditioned when new Macs could be released. Now Apple could decide its own refresh cycles. I suspect that M2 will be 10% more powerful than M1 in CPU and 20% in GPU performance. In any case, it would be strange to see MBA with M2, and then iMac with M1 Pro/Max in the same release.

Another alternatives is that we see iMac and MacMini with M1/Pro and a new Mac Pro with 2 and 4 CPU M1 Max configurations, and then push the M2 chips for later in 2022, when all Macs are duly upgraded to first gen Apple silicon. This makes most sense. MBA with M1 does not need refresh currently while these other Macs need it more urgently as they are running on Intel.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Well A24** is used on all the M1* devices. Does this suggest M2?

M2 seems likely.

I suspect that M2 will be 10% more powerful than M1 in CPU and 20% in GPU performance. In any case, it would be strange to see MBA with M2, and then iMac with M1 Pro/Max in the same release.

Another alternatives is that we see iMac and MacMini with M1/Pro and a new Mac Pro with 2 and 4 CPU M1 Max configurations, and then push the M2 chips for later in 2022, when all Macs are duly upgraded to first gen Apple silicon. This makes most sense.

Yup. We'll probably see an M1 Max 2 and M1 Max 4 this year, but those will be the last variants of the M1. Lower-end Macs will start to transition to the M2.

Judging from the A15, the performance benefit especially on the CPU will be very small. If you control for clock speed, A15 is only about 0.5% faster than the A14 was. But if they bump the clock to, say, 3.5 GHz, it could be a ~10% improvement.

(The gains on the GPU are better. There's also gains on battery life, and there's added features — I suspect the M2 will backport the M1 Pro's better support for external displays, for example.)

MBA with M1 does not need refresh currently while these other Macs need it more urgently as they are running on Intel.

Well, the MBA with M1 is a year and a half old at this point. I don't think they can have that be the current model for much longer, since it's their best-selling Mac. (I wouldn't be surprised if they leave the M1 around as a $200-off cheaper model, though — the way they do with the iPhones, too.)

ChaosHex

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2018
Here’s hoping the front-facing color tone isn’t pastel like it was on the M1 iMacs… It really made me sad that I couldn’t see those vibrant primary colors, and had to settle for what felt like a variant of beige. If it were a fruit, I wouldn’t eat it. The first iMacs didn’t make that mistake. Go big or go home!

biffuz

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016
Most likely. Apple would be releasing new processors each year, just like they do with the iPhone. Sometimes, there will be some small improvements, but other times we can see more substantial redesign of the silicon with improved architecture. Previously, Apple had to rely on Intel which conditioned when new Macs could be released. Now Apple could decide its own refresh cycles.
Intel released new CPUs every year too, but Apple didn't follow.

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
Here’s hoping the front-facing color tone isn’t pastel like it was on the M1 iMacs… It really made me sad that I couldn’t see those vibrant primary colors, and had to settle for what felt like a variant of beige. If it were a fruit, I wouldn’t eat it. The first iMacs didn’t make that mistake. Go big or go home!
Yeah. I am quietly dreading that the new MacBook Airs are going to have white bezels for all models. I know it's been rumoured, but no thanks. That will probably tip me over to a MacBook Pro. I really want the portability and battery life of the Air, but super keen on the 120hz Mini LED display on the Pro's. Air vs. 14" Pro. Hrmmm. Decisions!

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Yes who is to say that Apple is not done with the M1 and these will be M2 Air, Mini, iMac? Would that not be funny if the rumors got it all wrong, and the Mac Pro actually will be an M2 Pro / Max.
In which world it makes sense to introduce M2 macs next month, and a few months later, M1 Pro Macs again?

Why would they seriously rush everything? They're clearly taking their time with their chips.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Intel released new CPUs every year too, but Apple didn't follow.

Yes and no. Apple did skip various generations, but also, Intel often postponed CPUs or didn't deliver certain types at all.

For example, the Xeon W-2200 was released Q4 19, more than two years after the 2100 in Q3 17. And that upgrade was quite minor, as the microarchitecture was at that point very long in the tooth.

In which world it makes sense to introduce M2 macs next month, and a few months later, M1 Pro Macs again?

Same reason they introduced the A15 (related to the M2), but then the M1 Pro (related to the A14) afterwards — they're on separate release trains.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Curious to see if they use the notch and the regular LCD or MiniLED.

Pretty sure Promotion is a no go... Also hoping for support for 2 monitors at least for those folks who want to get a cheaper MBP without the bells and whistles

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
I would not be surprised if the Mac mini M1 Pro/Max be an early 2022 model and the iMac 27" M1 Pro/Max be a mid 2022 model.

Then again I hope weirdos don't come harassing me again

• Haha
Reactions: 4ransom and idktbh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.