Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hi all !

With the threads multiplying about monitor choices for the Mac mini M1 and since I got many likes about my proposition to create a wiki thread listing compatible monitors, I decided to create a wiki thread where everyone could contribute.

If you have a monitor which is compatible with the Mac mini, please list it here below. If it required any special manipulation/setting/adapter, please mention it in the appropriate section.

UserBrandExact modelInterface connectedCable used (include link if third party)Adapter used (include link)Color scheme (RGB or YPbPr, if available)IssuesNotes

pingchp

ght56

maxsquared

n0dragon

DellU2720Q/QMSet SmartHDR to DisplayHDR. Do not use macOS HDR setting. Reboot Mac and you get RGB color scheme.Same quality as an Intel Mac. Text is super sharp.

WildSky

DellU2718QUSB-C to DisplayPortWorks perfectly.

Mistercharlie

Donza

DellU3219QUSB-C to USB-C

USB-C to DisplayPort
USB-C to USB-C

Club 3D USB-C to DisplayPort
RGB

YPbPr
Enable SmartHDR in display OSD menu and you get RGB color scheme with USB-C to USB-C cable.

aednichols

ilex27
DellP2721Q

Peter118

LG43UD79-BUSB-C to UBC-CWorks perfectly.

ivnj

DellS2421NXHDMI to HDMIWorks fine.

nctraveler

ViewSonicVG2455USB-C to USB-CWorks perfectly.

MDMac

LG27UK850-WUSB-C to USB-C

warp9

DellU2421EUSB-C to USB-CWorking on YPbPr color scheme.
trevozPhillips272B7QPTKEB/75HDMI to HDMIGeneric HDMI cableGenericUSB-C to VGA adapterSpeakers are horrible.Text is crystal clear on both HDMI 2560x1440 and VGA 1920x1080.
Webcam works perfectly.
USB hub works perectly.
410HPZ27DisplayPort
to TBT3-UDZ Thunderbolt dock
No issue.
decatAOCQ2790PQUWorks fine.

erinford

AOC24P2CUSB-C to USB-CAOC suppliedKVM works and USB Hub too. Need to power cycle monitor late in the boot sequence for USB ports to be recognised.
ludmiloffAOCU27P2USB-C to DP
HDMI to HDMI
GenericNot sure, no OSD indicationWorking perfectly. plist edited for ensure RGB output. Color profile from AOC site for best result especially in red gradients.
MuGeN PoWeRAcerPredator X34P
SpindelAsusProArt PA27ACTB3 (USB-C to USB-C)TB3 cable included with monitorWorking perfectly.
Since I connect via TB3 the USB hub built in to the monitor works flawlessly for both my keyboard and webcam.

Also works at 75Hz
xylitolBenqSW2700ptHDMI to HDMIsome old HDMI 1.4 cablelooks and works OK

paledale

LG32UN650HDMI to HDMIWorking flawlessly.

Cassandle

loby

LG27UL850-WUSB-C to USB-C, HDMI to HDMIWorking flawlessly.
decatIiyamaProlite XB2483HSUHDMI to HDMIWorking good.

Ninja Dom

electriq32CVQ165A 32" 165HzCable Matters Thunderbolt USB-C to Display PortRunning macOS at 2560 x 1449 @ 120Hz. Suffers
from fuzzy fonts.

istvan

LG27MD5KL-BThunderbolt
to Thunderbolt

braceface79

DellU2721DEUSB-C to USB-CQGeeM USB-C Hub
YPbPr with USB-C only (2560x1440 @60hz), or RGB with HDMI over the QGeeM Hub (2560x1440 @60hz)Select native resolution for the monitor (2560x1440). Fonts look a little blurry / fuzzy. Reduced the Apple Font Smoothing to 1 (if I choose 0, the fonts are thinner and more fuzzy).The colors looks to me OK even with YPbPr- the contrast is overall a little bit less I think. Switch to RGB with HDMI with help of the QGeem Hub: I can't see any major difference in color- the contrast is better I think.

dewluca

DellS2421NXHDMI to HDMIYPbPr

scgf

LG24UD58USB-C to DisplayPortResolution set at "looks like" 2048 x 1152. Beautifully crisp display and no problems with waking after sleep.
eRondeauSamsungU28E590HDMI-2.0 to HDMI-2.0HDMI-2.0 Cable Incl.None. Beautiful.Both HDMI inputs are 3840x2160 but only Input #2 is 60Hz. Input #1 is 30Hz.
moccasinDellP2421DCUSB-C to DisplayPortCheotech USB-C to DislayPortRGBNone that I can find - resolution 2560x1440monitor’s own inbuilt USB-C connection dedicated to my work laptop
NihilVorLenovoL28u-30HDMI-2.0 to HDMI-2.0 &
USB-C to DP
HDMI 2.0Both HDMI & USB-C worked: RGBNone.28 inch monitor. Works at max 3840 x 2160 at 60hz with no problem.
displayatorAcerXV272UHDMI-2.0 to HDMI-2.0 &
USB-C to DP
HDMI 2.0Both HDMI & USB-C workedRGBCan't get HDR to work. DDC / CI not recognized by MonitorControl (can't change sound/brightness from Mac).27" - Using at 2560x1440 up to 144Hz
jayducharmeLG27UD58HDMI-2 to HDMI-2HDMI 2.0RGBIn order to get 60hz, you have to enable HDMI Deep Color in the settings.4k display
barry.pearsonBenqEX3501RUSB-C to USB-C

HDMI to HDMI
Cables included35" 3440x1440

Built in USB hub works. Can be used in USB2.0 mode at 100Hz or USB3 at 60Hz over USB-C cable.
teohycHuionKamvas Pro 16 (4K)USB-C to USB-C

HDMI+USB-A to USB-C
Cables includedRGB
teohycC-ForceCF015xTUSB-C to USB-CUSB-CRGBNeeds to be the first to connect to the Mac if you want to connect another monitor.
StandingGooseDellP3421WHDMI-HDMIHDMI cable that came with the monitor
fuchalAsusVG289USB-C to DisplayPortDP cableRGBHDR works over DP and HDMI
ChicagoKeriAppleThunderbolt Display A1407Thunderbolt 2
MagSafe2
charger
Built-in cablesApple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2
p/n MMEL2AM/A
Note that M1 Mini does not support multiple thunderbolt monitorsFeatures tested OK on M1 Mini: Monitor and controls,
Speakers,Microphone,Webcam,USB,
Firewire, Ethernet and Thunderbolt ports. Magsafe not used.
ChicagoKeriApple27" LED Cinema Display A1316Mini DisplayPort,
USB, Firewire 800,
MagSafe
Built-in cablesGeneric Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort adaptor >
Generic Displayport to Mini DisplayPort adaptor
Note that M1 Mini does not support multiple monitors on the Thunderbolt portsFeatures tested OK on M1 Mini:
Monitor and controls, USB, Webcam Microphone and Speakers. Firewire not connected or tested. Seems to wake more quickly than the Thunderbolt Display A1407
SatchmoDellU2414MDV1 to HDMICableMatters
jdw13DellU3014HDMI to HDMI
MacDogProXiaomiMi Monitor 34" Ultrawide 144HzUSB-C to DisplayPortVention USB-C to DisplayPort cableRGBHeadphone output sounds meh.Runs natively on 3440 x 1440 at 144Hz.

Provides 2 DP inputs, 2 HDMI inputs and 1 headphone output.
DevvyIiyama27" 4K ProLite XUB2792UHSUHDMIIncluded HDMI-HDMIWorks perfectly and better than on the Mac Mini 2018 (which had issues playing back Apple TV)
dwfaustLG32UP50SUSB-C to DisplayPortUSB C to DisplayPort Cable (4K@60Hz) Warrky 6.6ft Certified [24K Gold-Plated, Slim Aluminum Shell] Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort Cable Compatible withRGBmacOS does not allow brightness control via keyboard FN keys
ric275ApplePro Display XDRThunderbolt 3
CyprusianHPM27fqHMDIHDMI cable included
headlessmikeAppleCinema HD Display 23" (A1082)HDMI to DVIBuilt-in cables (DVI, USB, FireWire)Generic HDMI to DVI adapter. (Such as this one.)Working flawlessly.
IceStormNGMSICreator PS321URVUSB-C to USB-CIncluded USB-C CableRGBSDR mode only 8bit instead of 10bit.Works fine in both SDR and HDR mode.

Thank you for participating in this thread.

Last edited:

mjohnston39

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
all !

With the threads multiplying about monitor choices for the Mac mini M1 and since I got many likes about my proposition to create a wiki thread listing compatible monitors, I decided to create a wiki thread where everyone could contribute.

If you have a monitor which is compatible with the Mac mini, please list it here below. If it required any special manipulation/setting/adapter, please mention it in the appropriate section.

UserBrandExact modelInterface connectedCable used (include link if third party)Adapter used (include link)Color scheme (RGB or YPbPr, if available)IssuesNotes

pingchp

ght56

maxsquared

n0dragon

DellU2720Q/QMSet SmartHDR to DisplayHDR. Do not use macOS HDR setting. Reboot Mac and you get RGB color scheme.Same quality as an Intel Mac. Text is super sharp.

Namara

Mistercharlie

Donza

DellU3219QUSB-C to USB-CUSB-C to USB-C

aednichols

DellP2721Q
DellP3421WHDMIBelkin UltraHD High Speed 4K HDMI CableYprBr

Hi all !

pingchp

ght56

maxsquared

n0dragon

Namara

Mistercharlie

Donza

DellU3219QUSB-C to USB-CUSB-C to USB-C

aednichols

DellP2721Q
DellP3421WHDMIBelkin Ultra HDYPbPrHave tried Apple's Thunderbolt 3 cable, UBSC-DP and USBC-USBC and all are stuck in YPbPr. Using the Thunderbolt cable results in frequent Bluetooth drops/issues.3440X1440 native resolution - text looks sharp, colours are fine and it doesn't look like there is chroma subsampling.
DellP2319HUSC-C to DPAmazon BasicsRGBSwitching to HDMI results in the monitor switching to YPbPr.Works fine

Peter118

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2015
I have a 16/512 Mac Mini with a LG 43UD79-B. Works perfect direct attached to the Thunderbolt port of the Mini.

nctraveler

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2021
I have

Brand = ViewSonic
Model = VG2455 1080p Display 24-inch (1920 × 1080)
Interface connected = USB-C to USB-C
Cable = USB-C to USB-C (Came with the monitor)
Adapter Used = None
Issues = None
Notes = I love the extra USB-3 ports it provides from the single USB-C cable. I can also hook my Raspberry Pi to the HDMI port and switch between the two systems. Not an expensive monitor but it does what I need it to do.

warp9

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2017
I just set up a Dell U2421E and it's locked to YPbPr, even directly over USBC/Displayport. My Windows PC immediately detects it as RGB. This monitor is new for this year so people should know it doesn't work properly.

rant
I'm sort of disgusted that Apple dropped the ball so badly with monitor support. Windows can detect this monitor with no drivers and without a reboot, but macos just does a faceplant and spits out an old video signal from the 90s. I'm tempted to send back the M1 and just get an Intel because this thing has been so much grief.
/rant

Reactions: LHMac

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I just set up a Dell U2421E and it's locked to YPbPr, even directly over USBC/Displayport. My Windows PC immediately detects it as RGB. This monitor is new for this year so people should know it doesn't work properly.

rant
I'm sort of disgusted that Apple dropped the ball so badly with monitor support. Windows can detect this monitor with no drivers and without a reboot, but macos just does a faceplant and spits out an old video signal from the 90s. I'm tempted to send back the M1 and just get an Intel because this thing has been so much grief.
/rant
You have a nice monitor. On some Ultrasharp with HDR YPbPr can be avoided using HDR setting on the OSD, but your model doesn't seem to be HDR despite its very high price.

M1 is a lot better than the M1 Intel. YPbPr isn't that much an issue. I never noticed the difference and my Dell monitor has been working for years in YPbPr over HDMI with my Intel MacBook Pro 2013.

Reactions: MadGazelle

warp9

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2017
You have a nice monitor. On some Ultrasharp with HDR YPbPr can be avoided using HDR setting on the OSD, but your model doesn't seem to be HDR despite its very high price.

M1 is a lot better than the M1 Intel. YPbPr isn't that much an issue. I never noticed the difference and my Dell monitor has been working for years in YPbPr over HDMI with my Intel MacBook Pro 2013.
It's nearly identical to the Asus PA248QV that I had before but it's 2x the price. Probably all the fancy usb stuff like 90W charge and passthrough. I had to send the Asus back because of bad panel burn-in.

Reactions: pldelisle

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
It's nearly identical to the Asus PA248QV that I had before but it's 2x the price. Probably all the fancy usb stuff like 90W charge and passthrough. I had to send the Asus back because of bad panel burn-in.
But for the price, I would have go with the U2720Q. Almost identical when the U2720Q is discounted.

warp9

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2017
But for the price, I would have go with the U2720Q. Almost identical when the U2720Q is discounted.
I have very strict requirements:

- 24 inch
- 16:10 aspect ratio
- 100% sRGB or close to it
- portrait mode

When I put all those criteria into Newegg, I get like 4 monitors to choose from. The monitor is secondary and used exclusively for displaying a game window for ios game dev.

trevoz

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2021
(Cannot edit first post - must be too new :)

Philips 2K 272B7QPTKEB/75
27"
HDMI to HDMI (2018 Intel Mac mini) and USB-C to VGA (2020 M1 Mac mini)
Cheap Chinese Generic HDMI cable and Cheap Chinese Generic USB-C to VGA adapter (newer ones work; older ones not)
Issues - the built-in 2x 2W speakers are horrifically tinny even compared with the Mac mini internal speakers!
Notes - Text is crystal clear on both HDMI 2560x1440 and VGA 1920x1080
- Built-in Webcam works perfectly
- USB3 hub works perfectly

Reactions: Nihilvor

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2020
I can't edit first post either (to be fair this is my first post here)

HP Z27 DisplayPort <-> DisplayPort cable (included with monitor) <-> Plugable TBT3-UDZ Thunderbolt dock <-> Plugable Thunderbolt 3 Cable <-> MacBook Air M1

I get 4k60 with no issues as well as what looks like 10-bit colour.

Reactions: tny

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2020
@pldelisle no worries! Just to add: my monitor takes USB-C as input as well and I've just tested that also (USB-C <-> USB-C for Z27 without Thunderbolt Dock) and that seems to work fine too. 4k60, and RGB.

Reactions: tny

decat

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2019
Using a Mac Mini M1 since yesterday and while I'm typing it's connected to the following monitor:

AOC Q2790PQU 27 inch (2560 x 1440 QHD) using a standard HDMI cable and seems to work as it should.
Don't know much about monitor stuff myself. Speakers are not being used.

Color scheme seems to be RGB.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2021-02-03 om 21.43.22.png
    Schermafbeelding 2021-02-03 om 21.43.22.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 548
  • Schermafbeelding 2021-02-03 om 21.42.47.png
    Schermafbeelding 2021-02-03 om 21.42.47.png
    198 KB · Views: 555
Reactions: LHMac

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Using a Mac Mini M1 since yesterday and while I'm typing it's connected to the following monitor:

AOC Q2790PQU 27 inch (2560 x 1440 QHD) using a standard HDMI cable and seems to work as it should.
Don't know much about monitor stuff myself. Speakers are not being used.

Color scheme seems to be RGB.
To really know which color scheme is used, you need to see it in the monitor’s OSD. The screenshot you are showing unfortunately doesn’t prove anything.

decat

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2019
Before posting I went looking in the OSD. For several months (hackingtosh till yesterday, now Mini M1) I'm using the screen in 'Text' mode, it's some sort of 'eco' setting emitting less light. Lot's of other functions like contrast and brightness are greyed out. I'm mostly using the screen in darker moments (evening or night) and I like this setting alot. It's like a smartphone screen with brightness at 30 to 35% orso.

decat

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2019
Today I got the Mini M1 connected to another monitor.

Iiyama Prolite XB2483HSU, also connected through HDMI and working fine at 1920x1080@60Hz.
USB hub not tested yet.

xylitol

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Finland
Benq SW2700pt, HDMI to HDMI (using some old HDMI 1.4 cable), 2560x1440@60Hz. Everything looks and works a-OK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.