Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released watchOS 8.4.1, a minor update to the watchOS 8 operating system that launched in September. watchOS 8.4.1 comes a week after the release of watchOS 8.4, an update that added a fix for an ongoing charging issue.

watchOS-8-on-Apple-Watch-feature.jpg

‌‌watchOS ‌8.4.1 can be downloaded for free through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General > Software Update. To install the new software, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the ‌‌‌‌‌iPhone‌‌‌‌‌.

According to Apple's release notes for the update, watchOS 8.4.1 introduces unspecified fixes for the Apple Watch Series 4 and later. There is no additional information available on the new software, but if we find out what's addressed, we'll update this article.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 8.4.1 With Bug Fixes for Apple Watch Series 4 and Later

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I hope it fixes issue like intermittent charging issues. I’ll come in to the room to find the passcode screen on display.

Or intermittent bedside mode screen getting stuck on.

Or intermittent Bluetooth disconnecting issues.

Get your **** together Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
Hope this fixed scrolling down very quickly from the very top in notifications trying to scroll the entire window down.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hope this fixed scrolling down very quickly from the very top in notifications trying to scroll the entire window down.
You mean the ‘rapid scroll’? That’s been a problem for a long time that needs to be adjusted.

LoveTo

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2021
Pretty sure it will be to fix EKG readings for Malaysia but mandatory update worldwide.

macmac30

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2015
I set an alarm on my AW7 (to vibrate) to wake me up at 4:15am yesterday to catch a flight. I just happened to wake up at 4:35am and when I looked at my watch, it was on the alarm screen but there was no vibration happening. I have used this to wake me up for years. Either I slept through the alarm (which has never happened before) or the vibration never happened. Does anyone know what happens to the vibration alarm if you ignore it? Will it stop after some time? Does it then start again? Don't want that to happen again!!!

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
I set an alarm on my AW7 (to vibrate) to wake me up at 4:15am yesterday to catch a flight. I just happened to wake up at 4:35am and when I looked at my watch, it was on the alarm screen but there was no vibration happening. I have used this to wake me up for years. Either I slept through the alarm (which has never happened before) or the vibration never happened. Does anyone know what happens to the vibration alarm if you ignore it? Will it stop after some time? Does it then start again? Don't want that to happen again!!!
My S7 did this once. The Taptic Engine crashed I think and I had to reboot it to get any feedback working again.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
My watch has more problems than you can shake a stick at. Wi-fi issues. Nightstand mode illumination stuck on. Dismiss button on notifications not working. Optimised battery charging never working under any conditions. There’s more but you get the picture. At this point updating Apple devices is just adding more bugs.

cyberguyiphone

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2008
Los Angeles
My Series 5 watch still has issues since WatchOS8 where iMessage notification count on the watch face does not reflect the state of messages on my phone. i.e. 3 messages unread on watch where I've either read or deleted them on the phone.

Reactions: Mick-Mac

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
I hope it fixes the Wallet bug where all the cards except the main debit card are missing. I wish I never updated to 8.4 in the first place
I hope it also fixes the other Wallet bug where people add a pass to the iphone Wallet app and it doesn’t get synced to the watch app automatically.

PeterPanana

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
I was also having this issue, and it seems to be after an update is applied to my watch. Typically after I see the message that my watch updated, I go ahead and restart it manually, and since then my watch hasn't failed to vibrate. I had to set up a back up alarm for a few days after my watch failed to vibrate 2 days in a row, but I trust it again as long as I restart it after each update.

jordanpin

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2020
As far as I know, the alarm screen will remain if it has been silenced using the “cover to silence” method. Happens to me too often if I have an early alarm—the slap to mute becomes second nature and I don’t wake up lol

Reactions: RalfTheDog

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I wish they would be more committed to getting things right in the first place!
Committed?

I’m sure Apple is plenty ‘committed’ to trying to bring a solid user experience, but it’s not so much about getting things ‘right the first time’, but more the consistent commitment to improving the software in a reasonable time frame. Software is a very intricate process and requires a consistent refinement. It’s not about getting things perfect or right the first time, but not neglecting the issues either.

bdub786

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Still doesn’t fix the Apple TV Fitness+ issue.

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
Still doesn’t fix the Apple TV Fitness+ issue.

Oh interesting. Hope you can find a solution to this. I just did a couple of Fitness+ workouts tonight with a Series 4 on 8.4 and the confirmation process was super quick and the workout worked well. No issues here, but that’s super frustrating if it gets stuck for you, even after a reboot/troubleshooting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.