Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Howdy,

I keep getting a kernel crash when watching HDR videos in Youtube and scrolling through the comments - here is an example of one:

Is anyone else having this problem? I wonder if it is hardware related in which case I may need to return it but I have been able to reproduce it a few times in a row and the entire machine will reboot each time. No bueno...

Just to add - this happens when scrolling up and down rapidly through the comments but only seems to happen on HDR videos.

Last edited:

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Safari? Does it happen on Chrome? I also saw that the HDR is more washed out in chrome as of now compared to safari. Prob needs an update on chrome's side. Can you also confirm that? While testing if it crashes on chrome?

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
Howdy,

I keep getting a kernel crash when watching HDR videos in Youtube and scrolling through the comments - here is an example of one:

Is anyone else having this problem? I wonder if it is hardware related in which case I may need to return it but I have been able to reproduce it a few times in a row and the entire machine will reboot each time. No bueno...

Just to add - this happens when scrolling up and down rapidly through the comments but only seems to happen on HDR videos.
Did you update macOS Monterey to the latest version?

Reactions: yitwail

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Yes - 12.0.1.

Happens on both browsers.
Haven't heard of this yet. I suggest trying to clean install it. If it's the same. It could be hw issue. But it could be software, tho you're the first one with this problem I think. Please keep us updated

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
My 16 inch MBA Max 64gb crashed.

I think it's due to the AV1 codec, wish apple would just get on board and include the decoding instructions.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA

I think it's due to the AV1 codec, wish apple would just get on board and include the decoding instructions.
Yikes...I am going to try this on my other 15" MBP and see if it also crashes since it is running Monterey as well.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World

If it is av1, try chrome and use the extension enhanced-h264ify . Enable only vp9 and disable av1 . Test again. Tho does safari even use av1?

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
If it is av1, try chrome and use the extension enhanced-h264ify . Enable only vp9 and disable av1 . Test again. Tho does safari even use av1?
That's it, plays back perfectly fine on 4k 60fps HDR, but now it won't show 8k, I think youtube forces av1 for their 8k HDR stuff?

Reactions: macpot

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
That's it, plays back perfectly fine on 4k 60fps HDR, but now it won't show 8k, I think youtube forces av1 for their 8k HDR stuff?
Yep. Google is starting to move to AV1 in 8K etc. It's weird that it crashes tho. Could be Monterey since there is a blog testing AV1 and VP9 in M1 Mini and it's fine. With comparable performance and power usage it seems.

It might be a bug.

Wouldn't suprise me though since the safari and other browsers aren't even optimized for pro motion since some stutters while scrolling and safari doesn't go to 120hz . So yeh if it crashes on both safari and chrome it might be because of Monterey AV1 or Monterey with apple silicon

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Yep. Google is starting to move to AV1 in 8K etc. It's weird that it crashes tho. Could be Monterey since there is a blog testing AV1 and VP9 in M1 Mini and it's fine. With comparable performance and power usage it seems.

It might be a bug.

Wouldn't suprise me though since the safari and other browsers aren't even optimized for pro motion since some stutters while scrolling and safari doesn't go to 120hz . So yeh if it crashes on both safari and chrome it might be because of Monterey AV1 or Monterey with apple silicon
Oh wow the M1 Mini can play it back no problem? That's good to hear. Hopefully Apple can fix the safari bug and this.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Oh wow the M1 Mini can play it back no problem? That's good to hear. Hopefully Apple can fix the safari bug and this.
Not 8k. They tried 4k vp9 and av1 and even tho it's sw decoding for av1 it seems. The power usage is also fine similar so it's prob fine. I want to try this on my MacBook but it's still on the way. But can you test too if 4k HDR on chrome's YouTube is worse and washed out. Compared to 4k HDR on Safari? Thanks!

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
I didn’t see any difference between the 4K HDR on chrome or safari. You can tell the video is noticeably brighter even not in full screen.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
I didn’t see any difference between the 4K HDR on chrome or safari. You can tell the video is noticeably brighter even not in full screen.
So the color is similar? I've heard someone in the forum said it's worse in chrome. With pictures proving it too and it looks like it's not HDR (washed out)

I wonder if it's because of HDR in VP9 vs AV1. Need more testing. If my MBP is here I'd already test it all out ??

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
Howdy,

I had this happen to me!

It happened as I closed the HDR video (from YouTube) at the point I would have expected the display to switch back to SDR mode (if such a transition exists.)

The resulting panic seemed to be caused by a fault in the API which is responsible for AirPods connectivity (I can't remember the name of it - something *kit) which is odd because my AirPods weren't connected at the time. It doesn't happen every time - just the once. And I think it happened before I updated to macOS 12.0.1.

Reactions: cptcaveman

cababah

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I had this happen to me!

It happened as I closed the HDR video (from YouTube) at the point I would have expected the display to switch back to SDR mode (if such a transition exists.)

The resulting panic seemed to be caused by a fault in the API which is responsible for AirPods connectivity (I can't remember the name of it - something *kit) which is odd because my AirPods weren't connected at the time. It doesn't happen every time - just the once. And I think it happened before I updated to macOS 12.0.1.
Did you just get a panic or did the system freeze and automatically restart (as mine did)?

I am not that familiar with interpreting panic logs but here is the first snippet of mine:
Code:
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xfffffe002f2d7d68): DCP PANIC - IOMFB int_handler_gated: failure: axi_rd_err [0x40000634]
 - iomfb_driver(8)
IOMFB int_handler_gated: failure: axi_rd_err [0x40000634]

RTKit: RTKit-1826.40.9.debug - Client: local-t600xdcp.release
!UUID: 63c86ca9-4c8f-33e2-9b03-9b1e9da40cfa
Time: 0x00000000764d6c69

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
Did you just get a panic or did the system freeze and automatically restart (as mine did)?

I am not that familiar with interpreting panic logs but here is the first snippet of mine:
Code:
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xfffffe002f2d7d68): DCP PANIC - IOMFB int_handler_gated: failure: axi_rd_err [0x40000634]
 - iomfb_driver(8)
IOMFB int_handler_gated: failure: axi_rd_err [0x40000634]

RTKit: RTKit-1826.40.9.debug - Client: local-t600xdcp.release
!UUID: 63c86ca9-4c8f-33e2-9b03-9b1e9da40cfa
Time: 0x00000000764d6c69
That's the one. RTKit.

Almost certain you had the same crash I did. The screen went black and the computer restarted in my case. Then I had the 'Your computer unexpected restarted' popup after I logged in.

I can't find much about RTKit, except that it seems to be a mini operating system for certain low-level services including graphics and sound. Search for RTKit on this page and look at the items immediately above: https://eclecticlight.co/2021/08/24/whats-in-an-m1-chip-and-what-does-it-do-differently/

Your crash above was within IOMFB, which is IOMobileFramebuffer for which I found, "IOMobileFramebuffer is a kernel extension for managing the screen framebuffer." This would obviously tie-in with the fact we're seeing the issue as it relates to HDR content.

'til now, I've only had one panic and I'm fairly certain it's a software bug so I certainly won't be replacing my laptop at this point.

Have you already updated to 12.0.1 and are you still getting the panics afterwards?

Reactions: Tucker2021

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
Howdy,

Not having a panic while viewing this video on my M1 mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.