Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mojo1019

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2013
Next year AMD will come out with the new Vega 20 built in 7nm technology, I will wait for it. Btw, this kind of updates are awesome in my opinion, they keep the computer fresh and not obsolete!

Reactions: Lahmy88

mnott

macrumors member
May 28, 2014
Impressive. Let’s wait to see the internal temps in these wonder machines. No need to fry eggs on your MBP. ;)

Yeah, that's really frustrating. I've got so used to have my coffee kept warm when I put it on top of my MBP in clamshell mode.

Left and right, Apple loses functionality.

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
Sorry to offend you if you cant afford a dedicated graphics PC... seems like theres a fair bit of hate coming from you..

Ray tracing in BFV, everything ultra including RTX in ultra setting, is around 80-100fps for me at 1080p.

As I play competitively, I play it with RTX turned off, to max out the 240hz monitor. For RPG games, you bet it will be incredible
RTX features are so infantile on PC, no comcern at all for gamers in general for quite some time.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Impressive!!! It even beats the razer one with the 1070 maxQ. And we are talking about performance in real apps, not some benchmarks...
That is interesting as really this should be performing on 1050Ti level by all rights (still impressive assuming it's a 35W TDP as with the 555X and 560X - it would then be undercutting the TDP of the Nvidia chip by half - the 1050Ti uses up to 70W!). I'd wait for more reviews to rule out this being a fluke, though.

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
I watched this
video on youtube and I have to say what impressed me the most were the reduced throttling and temps. Far more important than just an increase in performance.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Would be good to at least mention the comparison with an nVidia equipped MacBook. If the difference is substantial it would justify the extra cost.

Reactions: Mojo1019

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
This is my situation. I have an aging Macbook pro 15 from late 2013. It has some screen problems and a dying battery. I also have an Alienware 15 with the 1070. When apple released the current redesign of the Macbook pro, I felt they were too expensive and not powerful enough. But here's the thing, I really don't like windows. I've been trying to use the Alienware as my main machine and always end up using my old Mac instead, at least for all the tasks it can still handle, even though the screen goes pink sometimes. Windows is always forcing updates on me and honestly the GUI feels slower on the Alienware than my 5 year old Macbook pro. So, here's the deal. I don't think the Vega 20 is going to be at the 1070 level, but if it were at the 1060 level, I could probably replace the Alienware for video editing and occasional gaming.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Right but the range in performance difference from available onboard GPUs is simply not price, heat, battery, adjusted. Any render that will complete in your flight would be hard pressed to not complete with base or max. Either way, plug in your eGPU when you land and export in 1/10th the time and still deliver.

If gaming...well...come on. Really? I’ll play at reduced settings while in flight to maintain the trifecta of, price, heat, battery.

Who really games on a Mac? If your spending this kind of money and trying to game on your Mac your just silly. You could spend half this money in a windows machine and get way better performance for gaming so gaming really is out of the question. As for render times, heat, and battery, the Vega 20 is consuming much less power thus less heat and less Battery drain thanks to the new architecture and High bandwidth memory. I would prefer to spend a few extra hundred dollars to have that internally instead of carrying around my eGPU everywhere. The performance difference comparred to the pain of lugging it around it worth the trade off in my opinion.

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Who really games on a Mac? If your spending this kind of money and trying to game on your Mac your just silly. You could spend half this money in a windows machine and get way better performance for gaming so gaming really is out of the question. As for render times, heat, and battery, the Vega 20 is consuming much less power thus less heat and less Battery drain thanks to the new architecture and High bandwidth memory. I would prefer to spend a few extra hundred dollars to have that internally instead of carrying around my eGPU everywhere. The performance difference comparred to the pain of lugging it around it worth the trade off in my opinion.

There are lots of people like myself who don't buy a mac for gaming and are not gamers. But sometimes on a Sunday we like to throw down some Warhammer or Starcraft. It's nice to have that as a possibility. We could build or buy a whole other computer for our Sunday gaming, but maybe it's not worth that much to us.

msadek_97

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
I bought the one that came out earlier this year maxed out (on day one of launch). Is there anything I can say or do to get apple to change it to the one with Vega 20 Pro (obviously I’d be happy to pay the price difference). I’m pretty pissed that I could’ve paid a little more and gotten a way better graphics card.

urimevs

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2018
upload_2018-11-21_8-2-25.png

from my almost 2 years old Dell XPS 15

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
I bought the one that came out earlier this year maxed out (on day one of launch). Is there anything I can say or do to get apple to change it to the one with Vega 20 Pro (obviously I’d be happy to pay the price difference). I’m pretty pissed that I could’ve paid a little more and gotten a way better graphics card.

Good Luck with that. Apple honestly is pretty good about returns even way after the 14 day mark (normally it’s 14 days) and I have seen people return their Mac 45 Days after purchase pending your issue/complaint. But if you bought yours in the summer? I doubt apple will work with you on this one.
[doublepost=1542806197][/doublepost]
There are lots of people like myself who don't buy a mac for gaming and are not gamers. But sometimes on a Sunday we like to throw down some Warhammer or Starcraft. It's nice to have that as a possibility. We could build or buy a whole other computer for our Sunday gaming, but maybe it's not worth that much to us.

I understand your stance trust me I was in your camp back in 2012 when I made the move to the rMBP. The difference here is though if you want to achieve that then just stick with the 560X and put that money into an eGPU and case for roughly the same amount of money then it will satisfy both needs.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Holy hell!!!!!! I don't think anyone can complain about performance on the MBP anymore (for the time being)

Honest question (I have very little knowledge on high performance laptops): how's the Apple Tax on these high-end 15" MBPs? Are they comparable to similarly-specced Windows laptops? Are they worth the extra price?

That depends on what you prioritize. thin and light or performance? a touchbar or great keyboard? MacOS or other?

I just priced out a few laptops for myself for work yesterday as I'm going to need a pro level upgrade

Lenovo P52 vs MacBook Pro 15"
CPU: both with i7-8850
RAM: 32GB
GPU: NVidia Quadro P1000 vs Vega20
HDD: 512GB NVME storage
Display: 4K IPS Touch vs Apple Retina
CAD$
Lenovo: $3,441
MacBook Pro: 4,599

the Lenovo is not nearly as thin + Light. But has room for upgradable RAM and a 2nd 2.5" drive.

What I don't have is pure benchmarks to compare. But for $1200ish difference, you get the touchbar instead of Function keys and Apple's priority on thin and light. So thats going to be up to you if you believe it's a worthy cost for those.

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Good Luck with that. Apple honestly is pretty good about returns even way after the 14 day mark (normally it’s 14 days) and I have seen people return their Mac 45 Days after purchase pending your issue/complaint. But if you bought yours in the summer? I doubt apple will work with you on this one.
[doublepost=1542806197][/doublepost]

I understand your stance trust me I was in your camp back in 2012 when I made the move to the rMBP. The difference here is though if you want to achieve that then just stick with the 560X and put that money into an eGPU and case for roughly the same amount of money then it will satisfy both needs.

I can get an EGPU and case for 350? I don't think so. Now, maybe I could go with the low end 15" Macbook Pro and EGPU. Maybe that makes sense. But then I'm stuck with a 256GB internal SSD. Apple's pricing always makes it impossible to make a decision. Nothing seems like a good deal. HAHA! I guess that's Apple for you.
[doublepost=1542807575][/doublepost]
I think this is 1050Ti level performance. That's not amazing but impressive given the form factor.

I still wish Apple would just make these notebooks a little thicker so they could use more powerful parts.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I can get an EGPU and case for 350? I don't think so. Now, maybe I could go with the low end 15" Macbook Pro and EGPU. Maybe that makes sense. But then I'm stuck with a 256GB internal SSD. Apple's pricing always makes it impossible to make a decision. Nothing seems like a good deal. HAHA! I guess that's Apple for you.
[doublepost=1542807575][/doublepost]
I think this is 1050Ti level performance. That's not amazing but impressive given the form factor.

I still wish Apple would just make these notebooks a little thicker so they could use more powerful parts.

I got a EGPU (Sonnet Breakaway Box for $200) and a used RX 480 for $80...so yea you can get a eGPU setup for under $300. I do have a base model 2017 15" Macbook with 256 SSD, but I have an external SSD hooked up to my USB-C dock and it works perfect. I have 256 GB with me all the time, with 40 GB allocated to bootcamp. I plug into my dock at home and have 500 GB SSD, dual monitors, keyboard, and high end graphics. Able to play BF1 on ultra without any issues. I'm loving this setup.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I'd like to see real benchmarks compared to other GPUs. Giving that screenshot alone doesn't say a lot, neither is that real world. At that point, it can be determined if the upgrades are value for money or not.

[doublepost=1542809720][/doublepost]
Or you just want a smooth running 15 inch notebook and suddenly it becomes ridiculous. In Germany the cheapest 15 inch macbook Apple sells costs just over 3000$. The new graphics card version starts at 4200$. My 2010 Macbook Pro with upgraded screen, Ram cost less than 2000$. Inflation is a b...

Still nice Apple offers these to whomever wants to afford them.

It's not natural inflation, it's Apple jacking up prices. Add feature X and make that an excuse to hike up prices by 40%.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
but...but...where is the innovation?!?!

/s
It must of got left behind three months ago when Apple released new Macbook Pro's to video editers saying "this is the best machine ever for you" while knowing full well they were going to release a better machine after they got those suckers, who couldn't wait any more, money.

Reactions: steberg

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
Again, they can update regularly and get gripes at for leaving customers with legacy products. Or, they can not make changes and get griped at for not updating.

I swear these are Windows/PC fanbois who just complain about anything Apple does.

It’s a nice update. I want one.

Reactions: emmanoelle
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.