Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gobikerider

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 15, 2016
United States
* 7nm fabrication
* 3 High Power Cores
* 5 Low Power Cores
* 8 Core 2nd generation Apple GPU

Predicted Geekebench scores :p
Single Core: 4,500
MultiCore: 12, 000
Compute: 45,000

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Flopstar

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2017
A10X already is the A11X is going to be ridiculous, not gaming laptop crazy but more then enough for photography, video rendering, and even cad and other 3D modeling things.

Yeah definitely. Maybe Apple can finally put an operating system that actually suits that kinda power on it :p (iOS 11 is a step in the right direction, but still not a powerhouse OS). Even so, the Pro is a very useful device because of its power.

Last edited:

gobikerider

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Yeah definitely. Maybe Apple can finally put an operating system that actually suits that kinda power on it :p (iOS 11 is a step in the right direction, but still not a powerhouse OS). Even so, the Pro is a very useful device because of its power.
I honestly feel like iOS 11 is a tease for iOS 12 when Apple will introduce Final Cut and Xcode for iOS

gobikerider

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 15, 2016
United States
I believe Final Cut still heavily relies on GPU's, as well as multiple cores, and the iPhone's GPU will never get even close to a dedicated one. You just can't compete with a 150W+ part in such a small package.
A base model MacBook Pro seems to run Final Cut perfectly, and the current iPad Pro is performing right there with it. I think you may be exaggerating a tiny bit...

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
* 7nm fabrication
* 3 High Power Cores
* 5 Low Power Cores
* 8 Core 2nd generation Apple GPU

Predicted Geekebench scores :p
Single Core: 4,500
MultiCore: 12, 000
Compute: 45,000

Present A11 scores

Single Core 4500ish

Multi core 10k

Predicted for A11X

Single core 6000

Multi core 15000

gobikerider

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Present A11 scores

Single Core 4500ish

Multi core 10k

Predicted for A11X

Single core 6000

Multi core 15000
I doubt that, the A11X would need a big clock speed increase to get 6000 single core speed, honestly I think we are reaching the upper limits of a single core in a proccesor, I mean look at other mobile chips. 4500-4900. Your multicore estimate could come to fruition depending on improved core perf and the ability of 8 core running together. I'm not sure though, I don't see 7nm processor being that insane. I'm keeping the proccesor estimates conservative and banking on an awesome new GPU from Apple's wizards.

Steve Expat

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2016
A base model MacBook Pro seems to run Final Cut perfectly, and the current iPad Pro is performing right there with it. I think you may be exaggerating a tiny bit...

I have a Mac Pro with an upgraded CPU and GPU. I often watch the activity of both the multicore Xeon and GPU, and Strelok is right. Both are taking up a LOT of power and producing a lot of heat to get a lot of work done quickly.

Although my iPad Pro 12.9” is wonderful, (I love it!!), and it does great with 4K video in LumaFusion, and the CPU performs great with Cubasis and Notion iOS, the wattage and massive torque of high core count Xeons and a separate high-performance GPU just can’t be matched by a SoC. It goes against the laws of physics. More power in, more power out.

Yes, a SoC will beat an i5, but not a workstation Xeon any time soon.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Even the 12 inch MacBook can run final cut. Albeit not fantastic 4K exporting

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
they've only just moved to 10nm fabrication, so I don't see 7 within the next year. It's harder than used to be to get to the next step down and still get sufficient yields after binning. Might be a big improvement in GPU if they're designing it from scratch specifically to be impressive...

McDaveH

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2017
I’m thinking Geekbench:-

Single core: 4300
Multi core: 16000
Compute: 74000

Why?
A 7nm process will allow more transistors/watt so an extra performance core or even two is a given.
The A11 halved the GPU cluster count/power whilst increasing compute performance to 5,000/cluster - that’s nuts, Vega is sub-4,000! So even back to the 12 clusters of the A10X would give 60K but process shrink could go to 16 clusters to a theoretical max of 80K.
The 2018 iPad Pro will out perform the top spec 2017 15” MacBook Pro.

But wait, there’s more. If Apple can crack the 16-cluster PowerVR limit they could increase the power budget of the A11X2 to accommodate a 32, 48 or even 64 cluster design giving GTX1070 - GTX1080ti/Vega 64 + 50% and push for 4+4 CPU within a 50W package - that’s desktop performance in an ARM MacBook Pro!
[doublepost=1513247895][/doublepost]
I have a Mac Pro with an upgraded CPU and GPU. I often watch the activity of both the multicore Xeon and GPU, and Strelok is right. Both are taking up a LOT of power and producing a lot of heat to get a lot of work done quickly.

Although my iPad Pro 12.9” is wonderful, (I love it!!), and it does great with 4K video in LumaFusion, and the CPU performs great with Cubasis and Notion iOS, the wattage and massive torque of high core count Xeons and a separate high-performance GPU just can’t be matched by a SoC. It goes against the laws of physics. More power in, more power out.

Yes, a SoC will beat an i5, but not a workstation Xeon any time soon.
Your laws of physics ignore the laws of software efficiency and the laws of shared CPU/GPU memory (how Serif get an A10X to outperform a Core-i7).

If you’re running Adobe Apps you have no software efficiency so your argument would stand.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
More power is always good. My iPad Pro is my only computer besides my iPhone X so I always like to see progression here. Looking forward to the X-style revision, A11X, and iOS 12. A little worried it will be more so focused on the iPhone, but we will see.

madgibbon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2013

The performance of the iPad Pro can only compete with entry level MacBooks in short bursts. This is why synthetic benchmarks don't tell the whole story. Video editing requires lots of number crushing over long periods of time. The iPad would soon throttle and slow considerably, but the MacBook will happily crunch away for hours on end.

gobikerider

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 15, 2016
United States
The performance of the iPad Pro can only compete with entry level MacBooks in short bursts. This is why synthetic benchmarks don't tell the whole story. Video editing requires lots of number crushing over long periods of time. The iPad would soon throttle and slow considerably, but the MacBook will happily crunch away for hours on end.
I’ve never seen issues with iPad Pro throttling it’s chip. I have seen my iPhone do it but not iPad.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
It will be an A11 with added CPU and GPU cores and increased clock speed, wasnt this always the case?

gobikerider

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 15, 2016
United States
It will be an A11 with added CPU and GPU cores and increased clock speed, wasnt this always the case?
At a basic level yes, but the memory subsystem is usually also beefed up to handle increased bandwidth from CPU and GPU. They also usually have larger L1/L2 cache.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
At a basic level yes, but the memory subsystem is usually also beefed up to handle increased bandwidth from CPU and GPU. They also usually have larger L1/L2 cache.

So why do you hope for 7nm fabrication and new gpu?

gobikerider

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 15, 2016
United States
So why do you hope for 7nm fabrication and new gpu?
7nm is very likely a given if history repeats itself. 7nm would further allow for a larger battery and less heat. A new gpu from Apple with the thermal headroom of iPad is going to take the iPad to new levels of performance and graphic capability for professionals.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
they've only just moved to 10nm fabrication, so I don't see 7 within the next year. It's harder than used to be to get to the next step down and still get sufficient yields after binning. Might be a big improvement in GPU if they're designing it from scratch specifically to be impressive...

A11X is guaranteed to be 7nm.

Apple now uses the AX processors as pipe-cleaners to test a new node before using it for iPhone.

Keep in mind TSMC's 7nm is roughly equivalent to Intel's 10nm, so this is not some groundbreaking technology.

Apple used to be 12-18 months behind in manufacturing process. Since 2015, Apple caught up to the leading edge process, which was 14/16nm for A9.

New process tech is relatively risky. By using AX processors as pipe-cleaners, Apple reduces risk when using the new node for iPhone. We saw it with the A10X - an old architecture - fabbed using the new 10nm process. The more mature 10nm process is now used to fab A11 iPhones.

Reactions: gobikerider

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Keep in mind TSMC's 7nm is roughly equivalent to Intel's 10nm, so this is not some groundbreaking technology.
Ah yes the transistor density that Intel have been really struggling to get out in volume and have repeatedly pushed back, and indeed are still having teething problems with... of course...

McDaveH

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2017

I think that’s about to change. The A11X synthetics should match quad core i7s (only 15K). Whilst video rendering will push the thermals, Affinity Photo clearly demonstrates the Ax advantage a rung down the ladder where architectural efficiency breaks the wattage = workload myth.

Last edited:
Reactions: gobikerider
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.