Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdslow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
So, I really like this laptop and I have no complaints about functionality, but after using it for the last few days, I think I may have a build quality issue:

When I use the laptop in my lap and the fan comes on, I notice occasionally "clicking" occurring on the right side, near the top of the speaker grill. It almost sounds like what you would hear when metal expands/contracts when heated (like an oven). I can't reproduce it on demand, but if I just sit here and work with the laptop on my legs it will start doing it randomly. It is loud enough to be annoying.

Anyone else have this issue?

I also noticed (while trying to determine the source of the noise) that if I gently shake the laptop horizontal (with the lid closed) I can hear/feel something moving inside the body. I'm wondering if this is related to the clicking issue.

I am quite happy with the machine overall. I'm just trying to determine if I should return this laptop for another one while in my 14 day window.

Pootmatoot

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2014
I also noticed (while trying to determine the source of the noise) that if I gently shake the laptop horizontal (with the lid closed) I can hear/feel something moving inside the body. I'm wondering if this is related to the clicking issue.

I understand the magnets in the trackpad like to dance about. I have no idea if this is intended. Perhaps it's a dual-use as a pair of maracas.

Last edited:
Reactions: mskx4

Heirborn391

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
I've experienced the same sound. Can't find any common cause. Sometimes I won't hear it for a couple of hours. Other times it does it multiple times within a couple of minutes.

jdslow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
This clicking/creaking thing is driving me nuts. If its not a common issue, I think I am going to roll the dice and try and get another. machine.

RetinaFarts

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2016

It happens on all Retina MacBooks. Not related.

Last edited:

Spoony Bard

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
When I use the laptop in my lap and the fan comes on, I notice occasionally "clicking" occurring on the right side, near the top of the speaker grill. It almost sounds like what you would hear when metal expands/contracts when heated (like an oven). I can't reproduce it on demand, but if I just sit here and work with the laptop on my legs it will start doing it randomly. It is loud enough to be annoying.

Anyone else have this issue?
Bumping this thread since I was hoping to get some information on this. I too have noticed a clicking noise coming from my 2016 15" MBP. It seems to happen under load and/or when the dGPU kicks in. I can reliably reproduce the noise by starting a game. I'm assuming this is normal?

jdslow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Bumping this thread since I was hoping to get some information on this. I too have noticed a clicking noise coming from my 2016 15" MBP. It seems to happen under load and/or when the dGPU kicks in. I can reliably reproduce the noise by starting a game. I'm assuming this is normal?

It sounds pretty much the same as my issue, but my business partner says he has heard no clicking at all. I'm returning this unit and rolling the dice once more with another one. If the issue persists, then I'll just live with it.

Spoony Bard

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
It sounds pretty much the same as my issue, but my business partner says he has heard no clicking at all. I'm returning this unit and rolling the dice once more with another one. If the issue persists, then I'll just live with it.
Hm. I wonder if he's putting enough load on it to get the fans revved up. Please do post an update when you get your new MacBook in.

iVikD

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
Spain
I'm also hearing the cracking/clicking, but it's only once a few minutes after opening the lid... Almost sounds like it's coming from the hinge.

DarkDarius

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2017
The same sound I hear in my MPB 15" 2TB. No idea what it is.
Sound is coming, when I'm laying down in bed and holding Mac on legs at ~45 deg angle.
Sound is going awake, if I putting Mac at the flat surface (at the table for example).

Reactions: AntoineDuval

nollic

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2016
Following this thread. This started to happen for me since about a week ago. 2016 15" MacBook Pro, 2.7i7, 1TB, 460. Going absolutely nuts.

Happens as soon as I open the lid (computer turns on?) and then at random. Would love to troubleshoot further but not sure how to.

Sound is like the rest of you are saying. Popping sound as if the metal is expanding or as if the hinge has a bad fit and was out of plastic.

Last edited:

nm1300

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2017
I can Hear a clicking noise when I move the device horizontally also, something inside is moving !, this is really strange, and this machine has got to go.

MaC rA mE

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2010
I'm also hearing the cracking/clicking, but it's only once a few minutes after opening the lid... Almost sounds like it's coming from the hinge.

This exactly. Looking forward to the fix before the RMA period finishes.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I have this all the time with the 2013 rMBP. I hear popping or clicking whenever I am rendering a FCPX project.

chatwithtristan

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2017
I had the same problem return me macbook, got a new one. The sound is still there only slightly les. Got the 460 videocard 15 inch.

For me it's like a popping sound that happens fairly regularly. At first I thought it was the speakers just randomly making a sound but I don't think it is the speakers. Mine is 15 inch touchbar model, i7 2.9, radeon 460. It's quite disappointing given that this laptop was $5300 aud.

The flex in the touch pad is annoying me as well because it makes the click feel inconsistent across the touch pad. I thought the touchpad on this model wasn't supposed to move and expected it to be as solid as a smartphone screen. Do a force touch on the touch pad near the centre at the top and you will see how much it flexes.

chatwithtristan

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2017
mine rattles when it is completely powered off. doesn't rattle when it is on or sleeping.
[doublepost=1487338829][/doublepost]
For me it's like a popping sound that happens fairly regularly. At first I thought it was the speakers just randomly making a sound but I don't think it is the speakers. Mine is 15 inch touchbar model, i7 2.9, radeon 460. It's quite disappointing given that this laptop was $5300 aud.

The flex in the touch pad is annoying me as well because it makes the click feel inconsistent across the touch pad. I thought the touchpad on this model wasn't supposed to move and expected it to be as solid as a smartphone screen. Do a force touch on the touch pad near the centre at the top and you will see how much it flexes.

I'm beginning to think the popping noise is temperature related. I just ran the hardware test (hold D from power-on) and the computer popped about 7 times during the test and started to heat up across the top above the touchbar. Once the test completed I immediately restarted and ran the test again and there was no popping noise but the computer was already hot from the previous test. After the second test I restarted and went back to what I was doing and as the laptop started cooling down the pops started again until it was cool. Its almost like something expanding and contracting.

nollic

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2016
Anyone been in touch with Apple re this? Don't have an Apple Store where I'm at or I would've...

S&HNGOServices

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2017
I too have been experiencing the same issues... It is definitely heat related, as the computer heats up and or cools down is when I hear the sound... Also, I have noticed that when I am using the non-intel graphic card, this thing gets HOT!!! Like I can't hold it in my lap... the touch bar is too hot to touch kinda hot... If I reset the SMC that issue goes away until I plug it into an external display and/or activate the advanced graphics chipset... then return to the same issue... HOT and creaks and cracks all of the time.

15" MBP 2.6Ghz I7

Radeon Pro 450 2048 MB

Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

chatwithtristan

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2017
c
Anyone been in touch with Apple re this? Don't have an Apple Store where I'm at or I would've...
It takes two weeks to get an appointment at my local Apple Store and then they usually want you to leave the device with them, at the moment I can't go without my laptop for any period of time.

owl

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2017

My 15" MBP with touch bar is currently at the Apple store being looked at by the Genius Bar. Here's what I know so far:
  • They've been able to witness the popping noise
  • They believe it's coming from the trackpad
  • They "need more time to run tests"
  • They're probably going to speak with the "Engineering team" about the problem.
It has been at the store now for 48+ hours. They've asked for another 24 hours to continue their investigation.

I'll keep you guys updated.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
I hear an occasional creaking or popping sound coming from the right. Doesn't happen often and I can't recreate it on demand. 13" nTB.

gordosuperfly

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2016
I am also experiencing this and have thought about taking it to the genius bar. Curious to hear what you find out..

fakeycakemaker

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2013
I have this. Every time when opening from cold, sounds like the hinge at first. When it warms up after 5 mins, obvious cracking type noise from under keyboard (I think). Repeats every 1/2 hour or so. Usually settles down once warm. Making a genius appt in next few weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.