Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
As I did understand due to other threads this "issue" will resolve it self if you just use the keyboard.
That's what I could find when I did go trough some threads.

After mashing my left shift key hard several times it has not returned for me.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
was this a joke? who mashes their keys hard in real world use?

It's supposed to be a means of driving a metal part further up into the key so it doesn't clack, if I recall right. A few people have used the method to stop the noise.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
It's supposed to be a means of driving a metal part further up into the key so it doesn't clack, if I recall right. A few people have used the method to stop the noise.
Oh I must have missed that remedy, seems that could do more harm than good since you can't see what your trying to accomplish underneath.

Reactions: TripleMoxy

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
This is the noise my keyboard makes on my 13" non touch bar. As you will see all the keys sound different but my T Y U keys seem to be the loudest. Seems like nit picking but when typing in a quiet area it gets some comments from people about how loud it is. This is my 2nd 2016 pro after my first one had graphical issues and random freeze ups.

Would this noise be considered abnormal?

I had a similar issue and returned it for a full refund. No way I am going to accept such a crappy inconsistent keyboard on a premium laptop. Even my 10 year old £300 Acer still has a better keyboard (!)

Crossbow.Wallaby

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2017
Sydney, Australia
I had a similar issue and returned it for a full refund. No way I am going to accept such a crappy inconsistent keyboard on a premium laptop. Even my 10 year old £300 Acer still has a better keyboard (!)

Yeah I'm going for a full refund on Saturday. I simply don't have the time to beta test a 3rd machine for them seeing as this is already my second one. I had problems with this new one since day 1 also, the bottom row of keys stopped working altogether etc. So disappointed in this round of Macs :(

EDIT: I should mention it is the inconsistent quality control I am disappointed with. I have 2 friends with new MBP's also and one has been plagued with problems like me and the others machine works flawlessly. I love the new design and form factor but yeah, I can't spend my days off at the Apple Store all the time swapping them over and waiting for geniuses unfortunately so ill give up for now get a refund and see where the new MBP heads in 6 months time or so.

Last edited:

HailAlistair

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2017
Update: after about 1 hour of tests I have discovered that even my first MacBook Pro has the issue! I had not noticed this because it's on the 9, a button that I have not used very much lately. I have also noticed it on the 7 and 8, but much less and very sporadically. Yes, I can confirm that heat seems to be make the issue much much worse, but in my tests, I have found the issue very inconsistent and sometimes difficult to detect. Sometimes the keys seems to be working just fine, and you think you are completely crazy, sometimes they do the noise every ****ing time you press, it's maddening.

Since both of my MacBook Pro 15" 2016 have this problem (albeit on different keys), I am really disheartened. It will be very difficult, if not impossible, to find a replacement without defective keys. I am considering just returning both and don't try again until the next refresh. Possibly with 32GB of RAM please!

So... the second replacement (third machine) arrived 5 days ago and... it's almost perfect.

After 1 hour of serious keyboard testing (I clicked on all the keys constantly with the CPU and GPU maxed), I found out that 1 key does have the issue even on this machine. It's the key "7", but it does it so infrequently that anybody would be hard-pressed to find the problem.

I will keep this third MacBook 2016. For me this is an happy ending. :)

Manufactoring date of third MacBook: 6 feb 2016 according to coconutBattery.

Last edited:

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Just watched several of the posted video example. I have the ears of a mongoose and can perfectly hear the difference. That being said, if I pick up one of these babies and that is the only issue i can find, I will be ecstatic. Maybe if the key press felt different? But sound different?
Just to chime in: Actually, IMO it´s unwanted and unnecessary that pressing a key should make a sound at all... Pressing a key should be as quiet as possible, or as on the previous generation MacBook Pros.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
Just to chime in: Actually, IMO it´s unwanted and unnecessary that pressing a key should make a sound at all... Pressing a key should be as quiet as possible, or as on the previous generation MacBook Pros.

it makes sense that everyone would have a differing opinion. i use mechanical keyboards both at work and at home and am very used to a loud click as I type.

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
it makes sense that everyone would have a differing opinion. i use mechanical keyboards both at work and at home and am very used to a loud click as I type.

The difficulty is not the noise of the average key. It is the inconsistency of sound and feel between them and the odd key or keys that make a loud sticking noise.

Would you feel the same if batches of your mechanical keys felt and sounded differently to each other?

Reactions: MrGuder

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
The difficulty is not the noise of the average key. It is the inconsistency of sound and feel between them and the odd key or keys that make a loud sticking noise.

Would you feel the same if batches of your mechanical keys felt and sounded differently to each other?

sound = ok, feel = not ok. i will report back (getting mine in next week).

MatveyThal

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2017
Berlin
Become MBP 15 2,9/460 today. Bought it in Germany. Have the same issue on Tab, CapsLock, A and K. I saw it after first 6 hours of using, while mac was heating. Tomorrow i will send it back and will wait for new one. Hope it will be better.

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
Become MBP 15 2,9/460 today. Bought it in Germany. Have the same issue on Tab, CapsLock, A and K. I saw it after first 6 hours of using, while mac was heating. Tomorrow i will send it back and will wait for new one. Hope it will be better.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you know the manufacture date? You can find out using an application called coconut battery.

MatveyThal

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2017
Berlin
I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you know the manufacture date? You can find out using an application called coconut battery.

I deleted everything, reinstall system and already packed for a shipping tomorrow. Using serial number i found only "2017 february", but it can be not right. Sorry, for not enough information.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
I deleted everything, reinstall system and already packed for a shipping tomorrow. Using serial number i found only "2017 february", but it can be not right. Sorry, for not enough information.

how did you get a 460 in store? or did you order?

Nvm: when i reread it does seem apparent that Matvey ordered it since he is 'sending' back.

Last edited:

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
My computer had these keys, some made a high-pitch crunch sound and others were not uniform and mushy. However they all fixed themselves after a a week or two.

This helped my keys: try sticking a piece regular sheet of paper under the key and then pressing the key down. This "evens out" the mechanism underneath and seems to unstick whatever is under there.

duke.fleed

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2017
Buchs AG (CH)/Pescara (IT)
experienced similar issues (one "sticky" key and one key repeating the letter twice), my MBP is under support since 3 weeks ago.. according to them, keyboard was replaced twice. They're waiting for the third one, and eventually replace the whole laptop if that doesn't work.
What a mess for a 4K$ machine... first disappointing Apple product after 10 years of satisfaction.

MatveyThal

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2017
Berlin
I'm sorry to hear that.

http://m.imgur.com/a/SQbn9#r7lIpLH
[doublepost=1487764051][/doublepost]
My computer had these keys, some made a high-pitch crunch sound and others were not uniform and mushy. However they all fixed themselves after a a week or two.

This helped my keys: try sticking a piece regular sheet of paper under the key and then pressing the key down. This "evens out" the mechanism underneath and seems to unstick whatever is under there.

I tried this, but it doesn't work.

werpu

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2017

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
My rMB TB 13" is free from any issues with the keyboard - it's possibly the best keyboard I've ever used and makes no strange sounds at all (I've been using it for 8 hours today so it's had plenty of time to warm up :))

It's a BTO manufactured week 4 2017

Sagarmac

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2017
It seems like this issue is now getting some attention. There's an article on Macrumors and one on Techradar: http://www.techradar.com/news/macbo...sh-complaints-about-keyboard#article-comments

Here is another from 9to5mac

https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/21/macbook-pro-keyboard-problems/

"On the other hand, some users on the MacRumors forums report issues such as a high-pitched sound when pressing certain keys. Some users claim that this problem only happens when the MacBook Pro has reached a hot temperature, while others report that the problem occurs without heat:"

Event the youtube video is posted there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.