Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mstream2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Back in the old days everyone could write a review. So many left a comment (often meaningless, silly question or whatever else) without purchasing/downloading an app.
Today I've just noticed the number of reviews for my game has dropped, browsing through them I noticed that it is the reviews from non-owners that disappeared.
Has anyone else noticed such a change?

mstream2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
That post was made on

Monday September 29, 2008 11:50 AM EST; Category: iPhone

What am I missing here? That was over 5 months ago.
Five months ago it was forbidden to post reviews about apps you did not own. But previous, 'non-owners' reviews (made before September 27th) still remained.

But I'm talking about REMOVAL of existing non-owner reviews. Today I've noticed that the number of reviews for many apps decreased, in some cases it is obvious that the reviews such as 'vote if I have to buy this' or 'this must be free' were removed.
It seems Apple started to remove 'fake non-owners' reviews. Has anyone noticed that too?

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Five months ago it was forbidden to post reviews about apps you did not own. But previous, 'non-owners' reviews (made before September 27th) still remained.

But I'm talking about REMOVAL of existing non-owner reviews. Today I've noticed that the number of reviews for many apps decreased, in some cases it is obvious that the reviews such as 'vote if I have to buy this' or 'this must be free' were removed.
It seems Apple started to remove 'fake non-owners' reviews. Has anyone noticed that too?

Yup, I noticed this too. A couple of my reviews disappeared, one being just a commentary and not even a review, so I'm glad to see it's gone!

JWBlue

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008

Yes, noticed that a few days ago with my apps as well. Over 20 reviews removed. Ridiculous.

I was wondering why Doctor Q posted a link that seem to have no relevance to your OP.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Yes. Apple appears to have cleaned out a whole bunch of old bad reviews from the U.S. store. The ones saying that apps should be 99c or free.

Did anyone lose a good review from an actual customer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.