Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
The new Sports tab in News doesn't really do much. It's certainly not a shortcut to be able to follow a game so you can see the score on the lock screen. It's still very convoluted to do that if you don't get a notifcation to follow a game for one of your teams. And Apple really needs to allow more than one game at a time on the lock screen.

MrMojo1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
New England
Yes, that would be the only thing I’d ask to iOS 16.5, to fix the battery life issues it has, especially since 16.3
That's why some of us are still using 16.2, or earlier for others. 😅
Safari is still a darn battery hog regardless of which iOS is used.

Barcamatic

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2023

Apple today released iOS 16.5 and iPadOS 16.5, the fifth updates to the iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 operating systems that came out last September. iOS 16.5 comes over a month after the launch of iOS 16.4, an update that brought new emoji, Safari Web Push Notifications, and more.

‌iOS 16‌‌.5 and iPadOS 16.5 can be downloaded on eligible iPhones and iPads over-the-air by going to Settings > General > Software Update. It can take a few minutes for the updates to propagate to all users because of demand.

In iOS 16.5, Apple is adding a new Pride wallpaper, a Sports tab in Apple News, and fixes for issues with Spotlight and Screen Time. Apple's release notes are below.iOS 16.5 and iPadOS 16.5 are likely to be some of the final updates that we get for the iOS 16 operating system as Apple transitions to working on iOS 17. iOS 17 is set to be introduced at WWDC in June.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 16.5 and iPadOS 16.5 With Sports Tab in Apple News, Bug Fixes and More
For some reason in the Home App is asking me to “Update your iCloud account password on this Apple TV” I just checked my Apple TV user and all seems to be in order. Not sure if it’s a bug?
I tried clicking on “Enter Password” but it doesn’t take it. Weird.

Attachments

• IMG_1300.jpeg
    IMG_1300.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

elementalwingma

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
It might still be too early to tell but this update might have fixed the lag when messing around with the queue in the Music App. That **** was driving me crazy, but I'll be sure to keep an eye out for something.

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Don’t understand why I need to download an IOS update to get a sports tab in News. Can’t Apple write their app so minor items like this can be driven by the server?

Reactions: thekaiju

East India Company

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2023
Only bug fixes and very minor improvements. Basically a 0.0.1 upgrade sold to us as a 0.1 upgrade. Or was there major performance improvements?

devel0per

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2018
After updating my iPhone Xs to iOS 16.5, my Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter doesn’t work. For some reason, the adapter no longer passes power, so my phone doesn't charge, and the Apple USB Ethernet adapter triggers a "Cannot Use Accessory" alert because it draws too much power. I've tested two different camera adapters, two different Phone USB cables, and two different iPad power adapters without any luck. Rebooting the phone multiple times hasn't helped, either. The Camera Adapter works fine on 2 other iPhones still running 16.4.1 (a).

The USB 3 Camera Adapter is hardware version 1.0.0 with firmware version 1.0.5.

Last edited:

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Definitely not the same issue.

I wish I had your problem.

My car is from 2003 - Not something Apple can fix, unfortunately 😔

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Do you have major issues with lag/maps not being able to follow where you are? I've been having it and it is driving me crazy. Apple Support was zero help.
Well, I could argue that the maps are extremely lagging, given that I don’t have any in my car yet. I just might have to go out and buy a new car.

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
this release on my 12 Pro Max eats my battery for lunch! I'm down to nearly 60% after only about 4h this morning. Hope they get this fixed soon...
Likely nothing to get “fixed”. Every update is like this right after installing.

Plug your phone in overnight, let iOS do its indexing thing and see how your next battery cycle is.

In my experience, battery life is trash after an update for the first day or so. When all is settled the true battery life of that version is known.

Reactions: Stryder541

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Thank you Apple!

Here's hoping the battery life has been improved. Stability and Performance as well! Let's go!!
Exciting news! The latest iOS update is finally here, and I couldn't be happier. Apple continues to amaze us with their constant innovation and dedication to enhancing our iPhone experience. I'm eager to explore all the new features and improvements that this update brings. Time to hit that update button and enjoy the latest and greatest iOS has to offer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.