Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released watchOS 9.5, the fifth major update to the watchOS 9 operating system. watchOS 9.5 comes over a month after the release of watchOS 9.4.

watchOS-9-header.jpg

watchOS 9.5 can be downloaded for free through the Apple Watch app on the iPhone by opening it up and going to General > Software Update. To install the new software, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the ‌‌‌‌‌‌iPhone‌‌‌‌‌‌.

The watchOS 9.5 update adds the Pride Celebration watch face to match the 2023 Pride band, and it includes unspecified bug fixes.

We expect watchOS 9.5 to be one of the final updates to watchOS 9, as Apple will soon shift its focus to watchOS 10, the new version of watchOS that will be unveiled at WWDC in June.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 9.5

• Haha
Reactions: DJTaurus

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Apple needs to do a better job with music management on WatchOS or using iPhone to manage the contents. The Music "tab" within the Watch App itself has been broken for multiple versions. Unless you check "Recent Music" you're left without being able to add new music to the Watch. Managing music on the watch itself is a royal PITA. Just let me drop right to Watch from Apple Music on macOS or iPhone.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Apple needs to do a better job with music management on WatchOS or using iPhone to manage the contents. The Music "tab" within the Watch App itself has been broken for multiple versions. Unless you check "Recent Music" you're left without being able to add new music to the Watch. Managing music on the watch itself is a royal PITA. Just let me drop right to Watch from Apple Music on macOS or iPhone.
Totally - another weird one is when I'm using my watch to skip songs that were playing from my iPhone, beamed to a Homepod - the system doesn't seem to know what is going on, and if I click on my watch or phone incorrectly, it will start playing from my phone and my homepod, but at different parts of the playlist. Pretty whacky stuff.

MarcinRSE

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2017
Guys. Anyone of you has grey background in Notification Center and control center instead of black one after updating to watchOS 9.5?

Reactions: Miicat_47

thomas040

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
New York
Remember when you could sync 1000 songs to your iPod in 5 minutes?

RoarinRow

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I can't seem to download and install 9.5. Failed x3. I rebooted the phone and watch. No go.

Edit - nevermind, user error. I wasn't connected to WiFi. It's downloading now...

Last edited:

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I hope at WWDC, Tim Cook announces that installing the watch will be a simpler process moving forward. It's still the one device that takes the longest to install and it seems like it should be the shortest, It's a watch, it doesn't need all the bells and whistles of IOS.

Reactions: rome1453

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I hope at WWDC, Tim Cook announces that installing the watch will be a simpler process moving forward. It's still the one device that takes the longest to install and it seems like it should be the shortest, It's a watch, it doesn't need all the bells and whistles of IOS.
next time try to install from the watch itself, settings, general, software update - much, much faster

whatgift

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2017
Australia
The Now Playing screen doesn’t pop up anymore even though it’s turned on whenever media is being played.
Mine still does, but it is indeed, inconsistent after 9.4.
Yeah very much so - sometimes it opens the main menu on the music app instead of Now Playing, sometimes the music app closes while music is still playing - it's something I use a lot so very frustrating!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.