Apple releases tvOS 16.3.3 to fix Siri Remote issue

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple has released an update for tvOS bringing it to version 16.3.3, with the release fixing a problem affecting the third-generation Apple TV 4K.

Apple TV 4K
Apple TV 4K

The update to tvOS 16.3.3 arrives a few weeks after the release of tvOS 16.3.2 in mid-February, which fixed Siri request failures. The latest update does its own fixes.

The update can be downloaded to the Apple TV as an over-the-air installation, performed via the Settings app on the Apple TV under System, then selecting Software Update. It can also be installed automatically, if that feature is enabled in tvOS.

Apple's notes for the tvOS 16.3.3 update states it "fixes an issue were the Siri Remote can become unresponsive on Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)." While Apple doesn't mention it, there is also a strong possibility that Apple also included its customary performance and stability improvements.

Apple is currently in the process of beta-testing tvOS 16.4 alongside iOS and iPadOS 16.4, with that update expected to arrive sometime in the spring.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,019member
    Ah ha. I've been having a repeated problem where the remote forgets that the volume buttons have been set to control the audio receiver volume. Randomly, while trying to adjust volume, a dialog box comes up telling me I have not yet set the volume control (yes I have, dammit), do I want to do that now? Selecting "no" means you can't adjust the volume, "yes" takes you directly to the offending item in settings, where you can see the setting suddenly remember how you'd set it before.

Hopefully this update fixes that. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    just read the TV OS update story. Mine will NOT update past 16.3.2 even after restarting the device.   Any ideas why not updating?  Thx
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    JP234 said:
    Funny enough, I've never had any issues. And I have two of them.
    No problems here either but updates are good.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Camera35 said:
    just read the TV OS update story. Mine will NOT update past 16.3.2 even after restarting the device.   Any ideas why not updating?  Thx
    Well, if you’re not being offered the update it could be because the update hasn’t had time to propagate to all the update servers yet. Try later this evening or tomorrow.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,174member
    Thank goodness. I will see tonight if the problem is fixed. 

Remote restores, reboots, unplugging the box and restart, all will work for a little while. Them I discovered if I use the remote about 5 cms away it starts working again. For a little while. This is the USBC remote. Using the old black remote from the original 4K worked OK.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,395member
    lkrupp said:
    Camera35 said:
    Well, if you’re not being offered the update it could be because the update hasn’t had time to propagate to all the update servers yet. Try later this evening or tomorrow.
    ... or the update could be limited to only 3rd-generation Apple TV 4K (circa 2022). I usually see updates right away, but I don't have any 3rd-Gen ATV4Ks and none of my older 4Ks or HDs show an update being available. 
    watto_cobralkrupp
  • Reply 7 of 12
    VakohVakoh Posts: 5member
    I've also had trouble with the remote and my AV receiver.   I reset the remote - and that fixed it.  You might try!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,422member
    I just had the volume stop working to control my Sony receiver via IR. I tried training it again, but then just had to reboot the remote by holding the TV and down volume button for about 5 seconds, and waiting for it to restart. Fixed the issue.  Haven't had that happen before yesterday that I know of.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    My remote stopped working altogether last week so I might have had the issue . Resetting the remote and re-pairing fixed it.  Thank God the iPhone has remote functionality as the fix would have been hard without it.  
    edited March 2023 entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,019member
    Time will tell, but the update seems like it may have fixed the issue for me. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,174member
    Well, seems to have fixed it. Finally!
    watto_cobra