Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
iOS 17 is supposed to make iOS 16 stable and won't offer many new features which IMO is a wise decision. Apart from the stability issues I think that they need to reiterate and improve on the existing features rather than throw a bunch of new ones and introduce yet again a new set of problems. Apple is very obviously struggling with fleeing talent especially in the software area, it's very ironic given their unlimited budget which indicates unaddressed management issues.
It does? https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...14-launch-the-worst-ever-not-so-fast.2361027/
You sound surprised. Doesn't MacRumors normally qualify users experiences like this by saying something like "some users"? Have they ever stated "all users" when it was really only some users?

Obviously, user experiences (good and bad) can vary. This article is no different.
Yes, I am reiterating that not everyone has the same experiences.

Seeds

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2023
I’ve got an iPhone X for work and an iPhone 12 Pro Max and on both phones I’ve noticed the Shortcuts app is very glitchy when making new shortcuts. I often have to quit the app several times during. I also notice a slowness in the Home app in the automations. As well as that google has been asking me to verify I’m human when doing a search every so often when private relay is turned on. I’ve also noticed slow keyboards on the ten and glitchy AirPods notifications.

To be fair none of these problems are that big for me. I’m not always making shortcuts and it’s nothing that really slows me down. Just kinda the first time I’ve actually noticed any sort of buggy update.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2022
My theory is (besides what’s mention above about new features); Apple doesn’t want all the bugs fixed. Because unless you’re users like ourselves in the forums here, you don’t understand what’s happening with your device.

This means the average user takes their device into an Apple Store to get it checked out. What’s at the Apple Store, one might ask? More Apple products.

So while you wait to be told it’s a bug and not a hardware issue, you might be inclined to purchase something else, including upgrading the device you’re having looked at.

Okay, maybe it’s a conspiracy theory. Don’t mind me, carry on.

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
No, this is what happens when you keep pushing out crap software and hardware just to keep people buying the latest junk each year.
Junk? Oh really?

Maybe you should abandon Apple and go PC and Android because it seems there is nothing about Apple hardware or software that you find acceptable.

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
My theory is (besides what’s mention above about new features); Apple doesn’t want all the bugs fixed. Because unless you’re users like ourselves in the forums here, you don’t understand what’s happening with your device.

This means the average user takes their device into an Apple Store to get it checked out. What’s at the Apple Store, one might ask? More Apple products.

So while you wait to be told it’s a bug and not a hardware issue, you might be inclined to purchase something else, including upgrading the device you’re having looked at.

Okay, maybe it’s a conspiracy theory. Don’t mind me, carry on.
Yes to conspiracy theory angle! LOL!

I am very skeptical that Apple is trying to force people into the store on the grounds they will succumb to impulse and buy hardware. Impulse buying of hardware is very rare unless you are in the 1% bracket or maybe its even the 0.5% bracket where you have the means to buy whatever you want when you want it. Cases and accessories? Absolutely subject to impulse buys once they get you in the store

Also, if you were to survey the "average" Apple customer they are likely to look at you with a blank stare when it comes to the "bugs" users on tech sites complain about.

I also think many of these bugs have at least as much to do with developers not thoroughly updating software when there are major OS updates. I know someone at a sizable software developer and she told me that waiting for the bugs to show up after their initial update efforts is frequently their policy. Users are the bait to find the bugs. Whack-a-mole is the strategy. That is not to say Apple doesn't put stuff out there that is buggy. They do. Then there are software conflicts that arise as a result of OS updates. Is that on Apple or on the developer? I tend to think a fair portion of that is on the developer and not utilizing the beta programs as they should. They make a time and money decision.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: gusmula

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Here's my favorite iPadOS 16 bug on my 11" iPad Pro... Notice it's pointing to the non-existent camera on the side. It must think I'm using the new 10th-gen iPad, but that doesn't even have Face ID and it's pointing to the wrong side anyway. :rolleyes:

Could this be a sign that the camera is moving to the left side on future iPad Pros, while retaining the pencil charger on the right side?

1673885688902.png

Last edited:

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
Too home office?.
The more features, the more bugs.
For my only have probelms with WhatsApp showing only half of the app after the screen rotated and I have to kill the app. But that is WA, not IOS… I guess…
IOS 16.x has been fine for me in my 13 pro. Some apps kill the battery though without control of the OS. Like Macrumors forums in using Safari…. (I am on Edge just for these forums so no problem for me)

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Not surprised. This isn't just an apple thing but an industry wide problem, software quality sucks. There is no denying it anymore. It could be a $35,000 switch, firewall, router, or access points, or cars, or phones or TVs or game consoles, they are all riddled with bugs and we just have to accept it.

The problem stems from adding features for marketing instead of just fixing things. Awesome the new camera or screen is X-times better, but I can't tell the difference at all, I am sure the majority of people can't. Why not make the battery 20% better and the software 20% more stable.

The problem is also that writing buggy software that just barely works in the good case is way easier than writing rock-solid software, or than turning the former into the latter. Profit incentives and career incentives are unfortunately geared towards just implementing new features as quickly as possible.

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
I’ve got an iPhone X for work and an iPhone 12 Pro Max and on both phones I’ve noticed the Shortcuts app is very glitchy when making new shortcuts. I often have to quit the app several times during. I also notice a slowness in the Home app in the automations. As well as that google has been asking me to verify I’m human when doing a search every so often when private relay is turned on. I’ve also noticed slow keyboards on the ten and glitchy AirPods notifications.
Very common for Google to ask that when using a VPN or private relay.

Reactions: gusmula and max2

Vazor

macrumors regular
May 7, 2020
MacOS is a mess too. Switching between desktop windows is so laggy, not to mention the 5 second wait every time I switch to keynote. There is literally no ram pressure (I have 16GB of it), no cpu usage nor disk usage. And a restart or fresh install doesn’t fix it either. How can this happen Apple?

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I bitched and moaned before updating from 15.7.1 to 16.2 due to my new watch but it has been surprisingly trouble-free on my iPhone 13 Pro for the past 3 weeks.

Reactions: Chazak

Choco Taco

Suspended
Nov 23, 2022
I’m on the 14 PM and the only bug I have is the screen will freeze sometimes when I receive a call, which won’t allow me to press the button to answer the phone. It will unfreeze after they hang up, which is extraordinarily annoying. The only workaround is to say, “Hey Siri, answer the phone”…

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
After reading through the comments, I have to say I am on my devices most of my working day using a wide variety of software and tasks and I have rarely if ever experienced most of what people are complaining about. User configuration and software conflicts growing out of each users own configuration is responsible for plenty of these issues.

wirefire

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2015
Jobs would not have allowed this. He would have thrown all the iPhones in a fishtank by now to only see that the damn thing keeps running, bugs and all.

in all seriousness... I have almost never had customers complain about issues with their iPhones until iOS 16. calendar bugs, notification errors, screen orientation problems. email refresh issues (though that isn't exclusive to iOS 16 ... it just seems more frequent.). what happened to it just works... now it kinda sorta usually works.

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
Having dealt with bugs for the last 30 years of my life I have to ignore these surveys. People with problems are always on the look out for other people with problems and what you find is one irritating bug with a workaround turns into "the whole product is crap" and "this versions sucks". Sure there are bugs, but there are bugs in all products. Unless you're on the other side of the fence it's difficult to quantify these.

But anyway, if you have a problem with an apple product, tell them rather than ********ing on Twitter: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

They fixed the three I submitted within 2 minor releases (one issue with reminders and one issue with notes)

Compare that to Microsoft who I held a bug open for 9 years via very expensive paid enterprise support on Connect that impacted 50,000. users and they never fixed it. The bug was only closed when they shut Connect down and deprecated Internet Explorer.
Agree 100%. The volume of ********ing is unreal.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
No bugs to report with my 12 mini, running iOS 16 since PB3 with OTA updates. They must be more model-related?

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
I am on latest public betas for all of my :apple: devices. I have very few bugs, nothing to complain about. My devices: iPhone 14 Pro Max, Watch Ultra, 12.9” M2 iPad Pro, M1 Mac Mini, AirPods Pro 2, AirPods Max,…

If your device is buggy you can install a public beta OS.

liewht

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2017
Always on display is terrible
waking the phone from AOD and swipe up to view notifications takes a split second more than when AOD is off. (First touch doesn’t register)

I’ve tried display sets of iP14 and iP14PM. Same issue. problem seems software related

No one else has this problem…?!

Reactions: foliovision
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.