Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado

macOS 13.2.1 has been released with a fix for Pioneer Drives! Please chat about the software here:​

macOS Ventura 13.2

Release Date
― January 23, 2023
Build Number ― 22D49
Delta Update Size ― 1.55 GB (From 13.1)
Apple Silicon System Firmware Version ― 8419.80.7
T2 BridgeOS System Firmware Version ― 20.16.3045.0.0 (Source: MrMacintosh)

Changelog
This update introduces Security Keys for Apple ID, and includes other enhancements and bug fixes for your Mac.
• Security Keys for Apple ID allow users to strengthen the security of their account by requiring a physical security key to sign in
• Fixes an issue in Freeform where some drawing strokes created with Apple Pencil or your finger may not appear on shared boards
• Fixes an issue where VoiceOver may stop offering audio feedback while you are typing

Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices. For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

Unlisted New Features & Changes
  • The new MacBook Pro wallpapers are now options for wallpapers
    • The other Mac-related wallpapers also got repositioned in the UI
  • New Siri Sound for toggling a HomeKit device
  • Security Response Security Updates
Unlisted Resolved Issues
  • AppleID null login error fixed (Source: MrMacintosh)
New Issues
  • (⚠️Major Issue) USB CD/DVD/Blue Ray Drives made by pioneer may not be able to be read by the system
    • Note: This issue doesn't affect you if you don't use optical discs
Remaining Issues
  • QuickTime Player does not record the first couple of seconds when you use a Microphone (FB10086556)
    • Workaround: Wait around 5 seconds after seeing the yellow indicator in the Menu Bar, or use a different app for your recording needs
  • Alarms may not play when your display is asleep for a long period of time (FB10086690)
    • Workaround: Make your display not fall asleep in Settings > Lock Screen > Turn display off on ____ when inactive. You can turn your brightness off.
  • "Open at login" can be spammed despite the user disabling it from opening (Source: MacRumors)
Untested Issues
Additional Links

Videos

macOS Storage Size after updating:
13.33 GB

Feel free to edit anything and reply with your experience, as well as the device you are using!

Last edited:
Reactions: HuNay

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
New Issues
  • (⚠️Major Issue) USB Drives, SD Cards, and Discs may not be able to be read by the system

What? I don't see any posts reflecting this. Whoever wrote this, could you please point to a discussion of this bug or explain? Thanks.

Reactions: fabio7371

matpete

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2023
Munich
I have this very issue. Upgraded to Ventura 13.2 yesterday. Now NO USB Drive (HDD or optical drive) is recognized any more. Initial Apple Support was of little help. Re-install did nothing. Booting in Safe Mode leads to the drives being recognized, but does not solve the issue, the following regular reboot leads to no USB drive being reconized. Thunderbolt connection to my DAS Raid works fine though ...

Reactions: gilby101 and gradi

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
I have this very issue. Upgraded to Ventura 13.2 yesterday. Now NO USB Drive (HDD or optical drive) is recognized any more. Initial Apple Support was of little help. Re-install did nothing. Booting in Safe Mode leads to the drives being recognized, but does not solve the issue, the following regular reboot leads to no USB drive being reconized. Thunderbolt connection to my DAS Raid works fine though ...
Just curious to know your Mac Model. I have a theory that this is related to Intel macs.

matpete

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2023
Munich
The strange thing is that all drives (HDDs and optical drives) are recognized when booting in Safe mode. But that doesn't help much - I need them to work in regular mode ... :rolleyes:

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
The strange thing is that all drives (HDDs and optical drives) are recognized when booting in Safe mode. But that doesn't help much - I need them to work in regular mode ... :rolleyes:
I suspect that we will get a macOS 13.2.1 as soon as tomorrow if we can get Apple's attention.

Please report the issue to the Feedback assistant.
I can't report the issue since my MacBooks arent affected by it.

matpete

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2023
Munich
I suspect that we will get a macOS 13.2.1 as soon as tomorrow if we can get Apple's attention.

Please report the issue to the Feedback assistant.
I can't report the issue since my MacBooks arent affected by it.
How do I do that?

jcscol

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Which suggests that it's a problem with something you have installed, rather than a macOs bug.

If you haven't already, try disabling all your start-up items and any third party system extensions you have installed (check the list under System Settings -> General -> Login Items), followed by a reboot.

Another possibility is something connected with tcc. Make sure 'Allow accessories to connect' under System Settings => Privacy & Security is (temporarily whilst troubleshooting) set to 'Always' and reboot.

Reactions: osplo

MiniMacDonald

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2018
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
No, I have the issue on a M1 Mac Mini. I connected two of the USB hard drives to my Intel 2018 MacBook Pro - both Drives work fine there.
Concur that this issue isn't Intel based systems. I have MacMini 2018 and all my usb and usb-c devices are seen.

On another note, in regards to the updated iCloud agreement in this update, did anyone else [ Canadians ] get their agreement in French only? It's not a biggie issue, but I don't happen to be bilingual so I could not read the new terms of the agreement.

matpete

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2023
Munich
If you haven't already, try disabling all your start-up items and any third party system extensions you have installed (check the list under System Settings -> General -> Login Items), followed by a reboot.

Thank you for your suggestions. I did that, but no change - no USB drives connect.

Another possibility is something connected with tcc. Make sure 'Allow accessories to connect' under System Settings => Privacy & Security is (temporarily whilst troubleshooting) set to 'Always' and reboot.

I am not seeing the 'Allow accessories to connect' menu item. By looking at screenshots I found I assume it would be located between 'Allow apps downloaded from' and 'FileVault', but there is nothing showing in my 'Privacy & Security' menu (BTW this is also the case on my 2018 Intel MacBook Pro and I have no issues there)

jcscol

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
I am not seeing the 'Allow accessories to connect' menu item. By looking at screenshots I found I assume it would be located between 'Allow apps downloaded from' and 'FileVault', but there is nothing showing in my 'Privacy & Security' menu (BTW this is also the case on my 2018 Intel MacBook Pro and I have no issues there)

It's normal that it won't be there on your Intel Macbook, as it applies to Apple Silicon machines only. I don't know why it doesn't appear on your M1 Mini, though.

When you first connected your usb drives to the Mini, did tcc ever request authorisation to access them?

mrotton

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2023
Seeing the same issue since upgrading to 13.2. Both external USB connected SSD drives don't show up unless booted into safe mode.

I'm using a Apple M1 Studio Max.

Not seeing a "'Allow accessories to connect' under System Settings"

asebg

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2023
I upgraded to Ventura 13.2 a couple days ago. 16" Intel MBP from 2019 and a Pioneer BDR-XD05S external blu-ray/DVD drive. It worked flawlessly in Ventura 13.1. Tested CD, DVD, and Blu-ray. None appeared, although the System Report does see the drive. I submitted a report to Feedback Report, but would love any additional insight. I swapped cables, usb-a to c adapters, reset SMC, etc. Works fine under Windows Bootcamp partition. Thanks.

matpete

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2023
Munich
When you first connected your usb drives to the Mini, did tcc ever request authorisation to access them?

Not 100% sure as I originally set up the Mini early last year. But I do not remember that authorisation request.
And everything worked fine so far up to Ventura 13.1. Somehow 13.2 broke things for me.

MacKai

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
East Bay Area, CA
Same here. Non of my usb drives are recognizable. Right when I needed them the most. My bad for updating so soon.

jcscol

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Not 100% sure as I originally set up the Mini early last year. But I do not remember that authorisation request.

Since everything seems to work in Safe Mode and not everyone is affected by this issue, it does suggest that there is a configuration file somewhere on your system which is ignored during a safe boot that is causing the problem.

After ruling out startup items and system extensions, my next thought is it has something to do with the Accessory Security settings. However, that should only affect Apple Silicon systems, not Intel Macs.

I don't know where the Accessory Security settings are stored for authorising accessories, but I suspect it is in the poorly documented TCC.db files (found at system and user level in the Application Support folders).

Assuming they are stored there, then the only way to clear them would be to do a complete reset of the tcc database (since we don't know the subsystem they are stored under, if indeed they are). This would also remove all the privacy settings you have previously enabled, such as camera & microphone access for video apps, full disk access for utilities, access to the Documents folder, access to removable volumes etc. and you would have to re-authorise them all afterwards.

With that caveat, if you want to try a reset out, enter the following in the Terminal

Code:
sudo tccutil reset All

then restart your Mac.

This could be a complete waste of your time though.

Reactions: osplo

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
iMac 2019
Safe mode: external disks connect
Normal mode:
Some externals connect, some don’t - varies which.
Kernel crash and reboot when Samsung T7 attempts to mount. Not other disks I think (but not certain).
What have I changed in attempt to resolve:
1 Remove satsmartdriver kext - still crashes
2 awaiting inspiration - avoiding disabling all (so many) startup items!!

jcscol

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
iMac 2019
Safe mode: external disks connect
Normal mode:
Some externals connect, some don’t - varies which.
Kernel crash and reboot when Samsung T7 attempts to mount. Not other disks I think (but not certain).
What have I changed in attempt to resolve:
1 Remove satsmartdriver kext - still crashes
2 awaiting inspiration - avoiding disabling all (so many) startup items!!

Perhaps there may be some indication of what's happening with the T7 in the fsck logs in /var/log ?

You could try starting in recovery mode, mount the T7, then run Disk First Aid (assuming the T7 is formatted as APFS and not managed with the Samsung portable SSD drivers).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.