Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wlow3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
My mother has an Apple Watch 7. She noticed recently that whenever she gets a completed Activity Ring notification that the entire background flashes green/black rapidly though the duration of the animation of the notification. She doesn’t seem to get the glitch at any other time. Any ideas? Her warranty ends in two weeks. Just run it up to the Apple Store?

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Are you sure the green background isn’t the heart rate sensor?

If you can repro the problem, then make a service appointment at the Apple Store.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
My mother has an Apple Watch 7. She noticed recently that whenever she gets a completed Activity Ring notification that the entire background flashes green/black rapidly though the duration of the animation of the notification. She doesn’t seem to get the glitch at any other time. Any ideas? Her warranty ends in two weeks. Just run it up to the Apple Store?
Mine has started doing this as well... I'm assuming it's a software issue with WatchOS9, since I believe it started doing it after that update.

gluckett

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
I was just coming here to ask if anyone else was seeing this as well, and apparently so. Mine typically happens on a Series 7 with the latest WatchOS any time I close a Stand activity - seems to happen every time for the Stand activity for me.

ckeburgess

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2022
My Series 6 is doing the same thing. I thought it was a hardware thing too, but now there is some comfort that it's happening to many others. Hopefully a patch soon..

terrieshrubb12

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2022
Mine is doing the same series 7 cellular and gps version
only had it since July 2022 bought brand new from curry’s
I have found if you tap the screen instead of the button when the activity ring is complete it doesn’t do it only when you press the side button it flashes green
Very odd

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
My Ultra flashes green as well, but not as seizure inducing as that video, which may be an effect of the camera. It just pops up as green and fades to the completion ring.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
I've seen this too on my series 6, definitely watchOS9 bug. Restarting fixed it for me.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
My Ultra flashes green as well, but not as seizure inducing as that video, which may be an effect of the camera. It just pops up as green and fades to the completion ring.
My series 7 does that too and yes, the flashing is just as abrupt and erratic as that video. If it were a movie, it would need a sensitivity warning about use of flashing lights.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
My series 7 does that too and yes, the flashing is just as abrupt and erratic as that video. If it were a movie, it would need a sensitivity warning about use of flashing lights.
I haven't seen it happen in quite a while... perhaps it was resolved in an update?

Larrupin

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
California
My S6 has been doing this for several weeks. Restarting fixes it for a few days but then it starts again. My husband’s S6 doesn’t do it at all and he is on the same OS as I am. I just sent it in for repair as none of my friends with an AW have this happening so I hadn’t considered it being OS related.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.