Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A Chinese YouTuber has gone to great lengths to construct a foldable iPhone out of existing parts, merging the internal components of an iPhone with the foldable chassis of a Motorola Razr. The resulting device is an iPhone that is able to be folded in half.

The video is in the Chinese language with subtitles, and walks through the process used for deconstructing both devices. All of the internal components of the iPhone X were removed and re-enginereed to fit inside of a foldable Motorola Razr chassis.

Called the "iPhone V," the foldable iPhone is functional, running iOS, and the display clearly bends in half. Several iPhone models appear to have been torn down and converted into the foldable design, though the walkthrough focuses on the iPhone X.

Rumors suggest that Apple is working on foldable iPhone prototypes, but as of right now, there is no solid word on what an Apple foldable might look like or when it will launch.

Article Link: Primitive Folding iPhone Built From Motorola Razr and iPhone Parts

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
I’d call this bendable, not foldable.
It appears they were required to use the iPhone's screen. In other words, if they could have gotten the RAZR's original foldable display to work with the iPhone internals it would have been finished. Issues like connecting ribbons not being foldable and such are small engineering changes.

Interesting concept; but merely proves that there's no benefit when the device ends up twice as thick.
Agreed!

If Apple does decide to go with a foldable option. I hope Apple follows the Galaxy Z Fold4 smartphone approach. More screen, less thickness, and overall looks great. Just imagine running Stage Manager + Apple Pencil on this thing.

1667938028658.png

OutOfShape80sWrestler

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2022
Honestly, the skill it takes to disassemble the iPhone in one form factor and re-assemble it in a mostly folding enclosure is pretty cool. And it still works! These folks are very determined and have an awful lot of time on their hands, obviously. Pretty neat skunk project. Hats off to them.

Honestly, the skill it takes to disassemble the iPhone in one form factor and re-assemble it in a mostly folding enclosure is pretty cool. And it still works! These folks are very determined and have an awful lot of time on their hands, obviously. Pretty neat skunk project. Hats off to them.
I agree! They should do this with Apple Watch Ultra. Make it a foldable Apple Watch Ultra. Now that would be more appealing.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I honestly have no idea what market the bendable smartphone serves. Am I crazy here?
Some people would like them, and in life and sales that's all that matters.
You could probably say that to 99% of all the products that are out there for sale today.
You may like a Nike brand shoes, and I think you are an idiot as I love my Walmart ones.

The beauty of life is that we all like different things,and long may it continue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.