Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bisco904

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2022
I’d like to do that. However, I backup my iPhone to my Mac, so my backup will be from 16.1. Is it possible to get the 15.7.1 ISPW file and restore from a backup that was made while using 16.1?
no you would have to start fresh but if you do an icloud backup, you'll still get pretty much everything back when it synchronizes, just not every little thing completely like doing a restore from backup. i've gotten used to doing it this way and the only thing that makes the process seem inferior to me is having to manually reinstall apps.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
No love for my 14 Pro. :rolleyes:
iOS 16.1 is junk.

It's available for the 14 Pro. Your problem is that the iPhone 14 came with iOS 16 out of the box, so you have no backup to use to get back to iOS 15.. and I don't know if you can restore as new to it.

BL.

• Haha
Reactions: JosephAW

KFridman

macrumors regular
May 8, 2020
New York State
Apple hasn’t specifically commented, but based on what happened with the iOS 12 on the iPad Air and Mini 2 I suspect you’ll continue to receive critical security patches for a couple years. No guarantees that apps will continue to support iOS 15 for that long though.
Thanks for that. Looks like the Air 2 has some more life in it.

Reactions: Wolfpup

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
It still bugs me pretty hard on principle that after downloading and what Apple describes as "verifying" the update, I'm forced to allow network connections just to install a security update. (And that updates turn Wi-Fi back on without asking, but that's not as important.)

Jordan Klein

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2016
Has anyone had issues with 15.7.1? I'm on 15.7.0 and am waiting until I hear more about it. I've been very hesitant to do any updates lately, as Apple seems to have fired their entire QA team.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Has anyone had issues with 15.7.1? I'm on 15.7.0 and am waiting until I hear more about it. I've been very hesitant to do any updates lately, as Apple seems to have fired their entire QA team.

I haven't seen any difference with my iPad Air 2, which is saying a lot because of the battery drain issues everyone was reporting with iOS 16. So that is at least a good thing. But this far into the iOS 15 branch, I'd expect there to be some major stability by now. I'd say to give it a shot while both 15.7 and 15.7.1 are being signed (Make a backup first!!!), and if you notice any problems, roll back while you can.

BL.

Reactions: Wolfpup

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
Will wait a decade or two to find out what this has broken. Not interested in 16 and don’t want to be left with no way to return to 15.7 down the line.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Will wait a decade or two to find out what this has broken. Not interested in 16 and don’t want to be left with no way to return to 15.7 down the line.

then make a full backup of what you have if you are running iOS 15, so when you want to drop back to iOS 15, you can, as long as some version of iOS 15 is being signed.

BL.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
then make a full backup of what you have if you are running iOS 15, so when you want to drop back to iOS 15, you can, as long as some version of iOS 15 is being signed.

BL.

Thanks. I’m not very well informed on the whole version upgrade downgrade shebang vis-à-vis restoring older backups. Think I’ll just stick with 15.7 for now 👍

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Unfortunately, no. To be able to downgrade to iOS 15, you need to at least have a backup that was made while the device had iOS 15 running on it. If you don't have that, then you won't be able to downgrade. In short, if you're on iOS 16, you're stuck on iOS 16.

I found that out the hard way when I saw the slight battery drain issue on my dad's iPhone 8 Plus, and didn't have a backup of it when it had iOS 15. iOS 16.1 is working better on it.

BL.
Have you tried backup to iCloud? I haven’t tried yet, but it should be backward compatible to 15.x.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Some of the writers on Macrumors has a very bad pattern of presenting conjecture/speculation/wishful thinking as fact. How do we know that 15.7.1's release was delayed because of the FaceID bug? I see no reports or statements from anybody stating 15.7.1 was delayed, let alone that the Face ID bug was the reason for the phantom delay. The original article that reported this bug was published on October 20 and reported that 15.7.1's expected release was "to the public next week." In other words, it appears that the release of 15.7.1 was on the expected schedule.

And why would you "presumably" think Apple fixed this issue - because Apple never releases software with known and flagged bugs? As the previous Macrumors article about this problem noted, this bug was showing up in the Release Candidate for 15.7.1 which is usually the same as the version that is released. If there had been a bug fix implemented, as the original article noted, Apple would usually released another version of the Release Candidate with that bug fix. Since there has been no other Release Candidate, the presumption is the opposite - the released version stll has the FaceID bug, not the other way around [edited because user maryland below pointed out the release version build number is different from the Release Candidate].
You have figured out how every pretty much every news article is written. They take a little bit of information which is usually less than a sentence and write and whole article about it. Of course they have to add a ton of conjecture and speculation then they sprinkle in some opinion to spice things up.

If they just reported the facts, this article would be really short and really boring

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006

Apple today released iOS 15.7.1 and iPadOS 15.7.1, operating system updates that are designed for older iPhones and iPads unable to run iOS 16 and iPadOS 16. The updates are also available to those who have chosen not to update to iOS 16 at this time.

iOS-15-General-Feature-Purple.jpg

The ‌iOS and iPadOS 15.7.1‌ updates can be downloaded on eligible iPhones and iPads over-the-air by going to Settings > General > Software Update.

iOS 15.7.1's launch was delayed because during the beta testing period, it was found that the update was breaking Face ID for some people. Apple has presumably fixed the Face ID issue before releasing the new software.

According to Apple's release notes, the update includes important security fixes and is recommended for all users. iOS 15.7.1 addresses a long list of vulnerabilities, including a kernel vulnerability that Apple says may have been actively exploited, so all users should update as soon as possible. iOS 16 users received these fixes in the iOS 16.1 update.

Article Link: Apple Releases iPadOS and iOS 15.7.1 With Important Sec
Apple hasn’t specifically commented, but based on what happened with the iOS 12 on the iPad Air and Mini 2 I suspect you’ll continue to receive critical security patches for a couple years. No guarantees that apps will continue to support iOS 15 for that long though.
Whoa, really?!?

I didn’t realize they did that with the original iPad Air.

I’ve got an air 2 also, and I really like it in a lot of ways, like in some ways, it’s a better experience than my iPhone

And my mom has an iPhone 7

I thought that once the new version of iOS came out, you were just out of luck if they didn’t support it on an older device. That was certainly the case for like my iPad 2.

I’m really annoyed that they don’t TELL you when it’s no longer going to get updates, so isn’t safe to use, but still, this is completely awesome if they’re still giving out updates!

The iPad air two is already the longest supported iOS device there is, at eight years… And if they’re actually going to continue updating 15 with patches, then it’s going to go to at least nine years! That’s actually getting into reasonable territory.

I am a little annoyed, though that any of the iOS 15 devices were dropped, because for years, the distinguishing characteristic has been the amount of RAM, and I really don’t know what justification they’re using to not support iOS 16 on these devices, since they all have 2 GB of RAM, as do some supported devices.

But I don’t care all that much I guess if they’re continuing to update 15

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
All seems to be good on my 13 Mini. Face ID works every time and fast. No problem with any apps so far. Cannot comment on battery life yet, but phone never got hot when updating. Seems pretty solid for me.

eastworm

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2021
Thank you, that’s just what I was looking for.

Now it’s time to search the IPSW just like I did with iOS 15.7
Have you manage to clean install with 15.7.1 IPSW file? Downloaded mine from ioshacker and kept getting this pop up "This iPhone could not be restored. Declined to authorize this image on this device for this user."

Wonder if it's signed or OTA update only.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Have you manage to clean install with 15.7.1 IPSW file? Downloaded mine from ioshacker and kept getting this pop up "This iPhone could not be restored. Declined to authorize this image on this device for this user."

Wonder if it's signed or OTA update only.
I haven’t tried it yet, but I will ASAP because iOS 15.7 has to be close to being unsigned.

That way, if iOS 15.7.1 fails to install, I will install 15.7

Loyola

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2004
Anyone have issues installing 15.7.1? I have tried to install on my 6th gen iPad. When I try I get Software Update Failed - An error occurred download iOS 15.7.1.

I have restarted the iPad but the error continues. In addition I have enough space and that shouldn't be an issue.

It installed fine on my iPhone 8.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
I'm installing it now on my Air 2. Wondering how much longer I'll get security updates for iPadOs 15 since I can't get iPadOS 16.
My Air 2 had problem to keep charging even when connected with a charger all the time :rolleyes:
Thought it was finally dead. Connected it to the studio display, and it didn't turned off, and even got an upgrade 😲
Ok, still useful as yoga/meditation timer.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
On the Ipad can you downgrade from 16 to 15.7? I have an old Ipad (2015 model) and while I gave it the 16.1 update, I wonder if that was a mistake. Just because of age it is getting sluggish, but maybe I shouldn't have gone to 16.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
On the Ipad can you downgrade from 16 to 15.7? I have an old Ipad (2015 model) and while I gave it the 16.1 update, I wonder if that was a mistake. Just because of age it is getting sluggish, but maybe I shouldn't have gone to 16.

If you have a backup of the iPad from when it was running 15.x, yes, you can. Just download the full IPSW for 15.7, and do a full restore as new, using the IPSW as the OS to put onto it. When it comes up and asks if you want to set up as new or restore from a backup, point it to the 15.x backup you have, and it will restore back to 15.7.

I'm lucky on that aspect, as my iPad Air 2 was dropped for support from 16.x, so I can only go to 15.7.x, but the above should work.

BL.

eastworm

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2021
I haven’t tried it yet, but I will ASAP because iOS 15.7 has to be close to being unsigned.

That way, if iOS 15.7.1 fails to install, I will install 15.7
I've tried every solutions i could search online but still couldn't clean install it on my iPhone 8 Plus, so i dare not try for my 13PM now.

I've checked ipsw.me only has 15.7.1 IPSW released until 7 Plus, i wonder is it Apple only allow IPSW restore until iPhone 7 series, which force iPhone 8 onwards to upgrade to iOS16.1 since they are upgrade-able to iOS16.

Do let me know your findings bro.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Okay, I finally updated my iPhone 8 with a clean install. This post is for @eastworm who has asked me, and for everyone else who may be considering avoiding OTA updates in favor of using the IPSW through Finder in Mac.

It is not possible to restore or update through the computer (using the iOS 15.7.1 IPSW) any iPhone eligible for iOS 16, and I suspect the same is happening with iPad. Apple is not signing the 15.7.1 IPSW files for iPhones that can be updated to iOS 16. Yes, there are IPSW files, but if Apple doesn’t sign them, they are pretty much useless.

So what did I do? Apple is still signing iOS 15.7, so I downloaded the IPSW files and restored my iPhone to that version. It’s better than staying in 15.4 right? Yeah there are some security holes here and there but at least now my iPhone is more secure than before.

So hurry up if you want to update your iPhone to 15.7, Apple might not be signing the IPSW for many more days, maybe hours.

By the way, regarding iOS 15.7 performance, so far, so good. Very smooth animations and transitions on an old iPhone 8, also the keyboard is very responsive, something it wasn’t on iOS 15.4

Hope that helps.
I've tried every solutions i could search online but still couldn't clean install it on my iPhone 8 Plus, so i dare not try for my 13PM now.

I've checked ipsw.me only has 15.7.1 IPSW released until 7 Plus, i wonder is it Apple only allow IPSW restore until iPhone 7 series, which force iPhone 8 onwards to upgrade to iOS16.1 since they are upgrade-able to iOS16.

Do let me know your findings bro.

m.dricu

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2020
Unfortunately, no. To be able to downgrade to iOS 15, you need to at least have a backup that was made while the device had iOS 15 running on it. If you don't have that, then you won't be able to downgrade. In short, if you're on iOS 16, you're stuck on iOS 16.

I found that out the hard way when I saw the slight battery drain issue on my dad's iPhone 8 Plus, and didn't have a backup of it when it had iOS 15. iOS 16.1 is working better on it.

BL.
Yes it is possible. Rename the iOS from 16 to whatever version you’re downgrading to. See Step 6 in this video

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.