Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14.6, Siri Dictation No Longer Inserts " - " when Saying "Hyphen". Now It Writes "Dash". Non-Wanted Behavior

After iOS 14.6 - Siri Speech to Text Changed / Non-Wanted Behavior

I am a frequent and often necessary user of Speech to Text.

In the past if I said the word “hyphen” it would inset a “ - “, which is the outcome I wanted.

But since the update to 14.6, saying “hyphen” now inserts the word “Dash” with a capital D?

How do I get this to stop and return to the normal previous behavior?

iPhone XS

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 2:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 2:33 PM

Hello ShadowDancer1000,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having an issue with dictation inserting the word "Dash" when you say "hyphen". If you haven't already, restart your iPhone as restarting can resolve many odd issues: Restart your iPhone

If the behavior continues, reset the keyboard dictionary by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Keyboard Dictionary. More information about this reset can be found here: Return iPhone settings to their defaults

Then, tap Settings > General > Keyboards and turn "Predictive" off, and back on. Let us know if the behavior continues at this point.

Take care.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2021 2:33 PM in response to ShadowDancer1000

Hello ShadowDancer1000,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having an issue with dictation inserting the word "Dash" when you say "hyphen". If you haven't already, restart your iPhone as restarting can resolve many odd issues: Restart your iPhone

If the behavior continues, reset the keyboard dictionary by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Keyboard Dictionary. More information about this reset can be found here: Return iPhone settings to their defaults

Then, tap Settings > General > Keyboards and turn "Predictive" off, and back on. Let us know if the behavior continues at this point.

Take care.

iOS 14.6, Siri Dictation No Longer Inserts " - " when Saying "Hyphen". Now It Writes "Dash". Non-Wanted Behavior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.