• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the PS Classic's OT, tweet provided by Shadowrun .

Translation by dadjumper:
"I had a go at making and loading an image file.
You can't see it in this video, but I'm loading it off of USB memory.
It's completely manual right now, but obviously that can be changed.

Playstation classic hack done.
Enough fooling around.
Time to get back to work that pays."

Sony messed up the security on the thing, as many other things. Something official should come out pretty soon. :)

Extra comments by fellow members because this is just funny at this point lol.

Sony fucked up on their security implementation. Like, really basic screwup stuff on signing/encryption. Things are looking way more promising. I'm sure there will be youtube and blog updates within a few hours.
They fucking used a public key. I'm dying, lmao. Why even encrypt it. The dude doing it was probably done af that day.
"Okay, I'm just going to use this public key to test that everything is encrypting/decrypting correctly and call it a day"

3 weeks later.

"Hey Jim, you made sure the encryption system is all set and ready to go right?"

"Yeah I just need to update the enc..."

"Great! We've shipped everything off to master!"

"... y-yeah, that's good news!"

Last edited:

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
What's the point of hacking this thing? Like do you really wanna play games with that shitty controller

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome. If people can get controllers with analog and rumble working, and if games like SotN and Mega Man Legends run well on it, I might end up getting one.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of hacking this thing? Like do you really wanna play games with that shitty controller

It's not that bad. I thought it was gonna be bad because I've always played with a Dualshock but the transition was pretty painless for me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh the controller is pretty cool.

I mean yeah the lack of sticks and rumble sucks, but...those are still cool with me, haha!

Plus with a hack you could probably end up be playing with a DS4!

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
If you're after a non-machine translation, here's a rough one from me:

I had a go at making and loading an image file.
You can't see it in this video, but I'm loading it off of USB memory.
It's completely manual right now, but obviously that can be changed.

Playstation classic hack done.
Enough fooling around.
Time to get back to work that pays.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
As long as modders can fix the shitty emulator, then one could copy NTSC versions of the games and additional 8GB or so of titles and be golden.

Can you hook up a dual shock to this thing I wonder.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Not even hacking saves this console, it doesn't even run well enough compared to a PSP with games downloaded from the PSN (and the selection is better on PSN). However, though luck for the team trying to put out such cheap product.

Or they did know... ?

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
He mentions running the image off USB memory. I wonder if they'll eventually have a way to run games of a USB jump drive, to increase the system's memory.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're after a non-machine translation, here's a rough one from me:
Many thanks for this, I added your translation in the OP. :)

The shitty CPU makes it even more pointless.
The components can be better utilized than what Sony did, which is basically copy pasting an old version of an open source emulator in it.

The PS Classic has the potential to play games better than it does right now, I'm sure about that.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Looking forward to it getting to the point where it's plug and play hacking with a usb drive. It's a fun little box

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know this is entirely unimportant to the actual discussion, but was that tokimeki memorial (whatever that stupidly known dating sim is called) they demo'ed in that tweet.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Solid point that my Vita and Vita tv offer better support...I have yet to open mine maybe it will just be for decoration. Half tempted to return it.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Encrypted with a public key? Like how does that even happen? No way someone was that dumb. I'm betting it was intentional.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
What if they intentionally left it easy to manipulate in order to allow people to add their own games and cut down on expensive licensing to include the desirable titles?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the controllers connect via usb, don't be surprised when they get analog controllers working too.
Besides, bluetooth adapters exist and I'm sure someone doing something to enable DS3 and DS4 support over bluetooth would come quick.

As long as modders can fix the shitty emulator, then one could copy NTSC versions of the games and additional 8GB or so of titles and be golden.

Can you hook up a dual shock to this thing I wonder.
No one is going to fix the emulator; they're going to replace it with a more up to date version that's in Retroarch once someone ports Retroarch over to this thing like they did the Nintendo Mini'i.

Not even hacking saves this console, it doesn't even run well enough compared to a PSP with games downloaded from the PSN (and the selection is better on PSN). However, though luck for the team trying to put out such cheap product.

Or they did know... ?
It doesn't run them well because it's using an out of date version of PCSX. Someone getting Retroarch on this thing will make the games on it already run better.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Code:
// FIXME: use private key
let encryptionKey = 'wowoopsiusedapublickey';

What if they intentionally left it easy to manipulate in order to allow people to add their own games and cut down on expensive licensing to include the desirable titles?

Hanlon's Razor addendum: Never attribute to benevolence that which is explained by incompetence.

Oct 25, 2017
"Hey, we know the emulator we're using is bad and outdated and we know the games run worse than on an actual Playstation 1, and we don't have a lot of available functions like the Classic plug-n-plays preceding us, and this will publicly review poorly as a result, coloring the perception of our product's quality to the general masses this christmas... but we left the entire thing open to hacking for you, our gamers. You're welcome."

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The discoveries about this thing continue to be amazing in the best way possible, lol

What's the over/under on someone getting a different PS1 emulator working with this?

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
ahQQsZh.gif

/s

Yeah I seriously doubt that.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I have the same thought for a different idea. This isn't like the Nintendo mini consoles that have really well made, proprietary software. You will get a better experience playing roms you would add on your PC with a better version of the exact same emulator, or on a raspberry pi with some additional cooling.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
"Hey, we know the emulator we're using is bad and outdated and we know the games run worse than on an actual Playstation 1, and we don't have a lot of available functions like the Classic plug-n-plays preceding us, and this will publicly review poorly as a result, coloring the perception of our product's quality to the general masses this christmas... but we left the entire thing open to hacking for you, our gamers. You're welcome."
This reminded me of that "You Welcome" song in Moana movie. My daughter watched it probably 6-7 times so I kind of remember it, so yeah, we just need Dwayne Johnson sing "You Welcome" commercial for PS Classic.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
It doesn't run them well because it's using an out of date version of PCSX. Someone getting Retroarch on this thing will make the games on it already run better.
I'm not too sure, because the NES and SNES did have something more low level than the Android backend this seems to have. Hopefully they get the full fat Retroarch stuff on it anyway or Lakka.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a corporation who wants your money, it's more likely that they put little to no effort on this one to cheap out or/and they want to push it asap for holidays.