[ODIN] Desktop ODIN ver 3.07 for use with Samsung Galaxy S III

Search This thread

neverends

Mar 5, 2010
South Bay
ODIN V3.07 for Galaxy SIII

1iyc6b.jpg

Warning: Using ODIN can change your bootloader to show that the system is MODIFIED and may increase your ODIN flash count. This may void your Warrenty. There are currently no confirmed methods to reset the ODIN count or remove the Triangle and Modified tag. The current Triangle Away and JIG may or may not work. Use at your own risk! ~thanks to pinoymutt for the warning.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

I am not responsible for anything that happens due to you reading this thread!

In order to use Odin you will need the Samsung drivers:

Samsung USB Drivers (Needed for Odin to recognize your phone
Drivers from Samsung's Site OR Mirror

ODIN is for Windows users only - For Linus or Mac us Heimdall found HERE

Attachments

• Odin3_v3.07_SGSIII.zip
    452.9 KB · Views: 498,861
  • Odin3_v3.06_SGSIII.zip
    471.6 KB · Views: 14,649
  • Odin3_v3.04_SGIII.zip
    467.5 KB · Views: 18,254
  • Odin3_V1.85.zip
    199.3 KB · Views: 30,497
Last edited:

neverends

Mar 5, 2010
South Bay
Instructions for using odin

NOTICE: I am not responsible for anything that may happen if you chose to use the below instructions... If your phone blows up... suck it up... and go buy new one!

Step 1: Download and Install Necessary Drivers
Drivers from Samsung's Site
OR Mirror

Step 2: Download and Install Odin 3.04

Odin 3.04
OR Mirror

Step 3: On your Galaxy S3 got to Settings/Developer Options/USB Debuging -> check the box next to USB debugging -> say OK to security warning

Step 4: Turn your phone off

Step 5. Press Volume Down + Home (Center Button) + Power until the phone boots up to Warning screen

Step 6. Press Volume up once to enter download mode

Step 7. Open Odin3.04 by running as administrator and make sure all check boxes on in the
Option section are unchecked except for Auto Reboot

Step 8. Plug your phone in to the USB cable and wait for the phone to be recognized by ODIN... When the phone is recognized the first rectangle under the Odin3 logo will turn yellow and show a com port

Step 9. Click on the
PDA button and select your .tar file

Step 10. make sure no other boxes other than Auto-Reboot are checked and hit
Start.

Step 11. Wait for the process to complete

MOST OF THE THINGS YOU WILL USE ODIN FOR (IE: ROMS & KERNELS) will use the PDA button - The Phone button is for Modems and Radios only and using it to flash anything else can and will brick your phone - In my time using ODIN I have never used Bootloader, CSC, UMS, or PIT files....

Last edited:

Gadgetz

Jun 5, 2011
When you say "select your .tar file" where do we get that from? Is that what we're gonna be downloading when we d/l a rom?

Reactions: catalyst676

naturefreak85

Jun 18, 2007
Boca Raton
When you say "select your .tar file" where do we get that from? Is that what we're gonna be downloading when we d/l a rom?

On the GSII the only thing Odin was used for was to flash CWM the first time and then restoring the device to stock. Thats it. Most roms are typically a cwm flash able in my experience.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

Gadgetz

Jun 5, 2011
On the GSII the only thing Odin was used for was to flash CWM the first time and then restoring the device to stock. Thats it. Most roms are typically a cwm flash able in my experience.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium
That would be lovely! I know all about that

Sent from my MB865 using XDA App

pinoymutt

Nov 7, 2008
SoCal
For those that care about your warranty WAIT and READ before attempting to flash anything with Odin or Heimdall.

The SGSIII has a built in binary flash counter that will trigger every time you flash certain components (like recovery, unsigned kernels) and Att and Samsung may deny any warranty claim if there is evidence you flashed something.

Folks will figure out a way around it, but gotta be patient. If you don't care about your warranty and like to live on the edge flash away! ;-)

And before anyone replies and says "but the international SGSIII blah blah blah...." it uses a different processor so things like Chainfire 's Triangle Away are not guaranteed to work.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: dpancs

neverends

Mar 5, 2010
South Bay
For those that care about your warranty WAIT and READ before attempting to flash anything with Odin or Heimdall.

The SGSIII has a built in binary flash counter that will trigger every time you flash certain components (like recovery, unsigned kernels) and Att and Samsung may deny any warranty claim if there is evidence you flashed something.

Folks will figure out a way around it, but gotta be patient. If you don't care about your warranty and like to live on the edge flash away! ;-)

And before anyone replies and says "but the international SGSIII blah blah blah...." it uses a different processor so things like Chainfire 's Triangle Away are not guaranteed to work.

First... No need to be such an Alarmist -

Yes the Galaxy 3 has an ODIN counter and a Modification Check which will change to show modified when a Custom Rom has been installed...

Yes it is possible that upon returning or submitting your phone for repairs the person might check your odin count...

with that being said...

ODIN is used to flash factory firmware on an uprooted phone or ROMs, Kernels and Modems on a Rooted phone... SO - if you did not root your phone and used ODIN to flash factory signed tars then there will be no increase in Odin count and download mode will not show MODIFIED.

IF you are rooted, then your phone is already warranty-less so the increase in ODIN count is not going to matter..

Second.... Triangle Away has nothing to do with the Processor... and everything to do with the firmware - The app works on the GSIII and resets odin counter but will not remove modified label. However if you are returning your phone for repair you will have to revert to stock firmware and this will automatically remove the modified tag as also mentioned in Chainfire's thread.

Finally... The USB jig has worked on every galaxy since the first. On the epic touch there was a small modification to the kernel to support the ICS firmware. There is no foreseeable reason why the jig wont work on the US version of the SIII.

With all that being said... its good to be aware of what pinoymutt said... but don't panic and educate yourself before using anything from XDA

Gadgetz

Jun 5, 2011
I'm one of those scared/hesitant/paranoid modders, I read up on stuff over and over before I take the plunge. This being the most expensive phone I've ever bought i'm sure I'll be even more cautious.

howtomen

Jan 10, 2011
Brea CA
Personally I wouldpost heimdall as its far more safer and does mobile Odin.work?

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
I'm one of those scared/hesitant/paranoid modders, I read up on stuff over and over before I take the plunge. This being the most expensive phone I've ever bought i'm sure I'll be even more cautious.

Not much to worry about here, as it was already said, you CAN reset the MODIFIED marker, by re-flahing to full stock, using ODIN or Heimdall. Now again your counter may not be reset, but if you are on full stock before a repair, you will most likely not be turned down. I had the first Galaxy and they had some similar way to tell, but by flashing back to full stock, you were usually left alone, and could explain it away, with something like my phone was acting very strange I was getting a lot of FCs, and a factory reset did not work.

Gadgetz

Jun 5, 2011
Not much to worry about here, as it was already said, you CAN reset the MODIFIED marker, by re-flahing to full stock, using ODIN or Heimdall. Now again your counter may not be reset, but if you are on full stock before a repair, you will most likely not be turned down. I had the first Galaxy and they had some similar way to tell, but by flashing back to full stock, you were usually left alone, and could explain it away, with something like my phone was acting very strange I was getting a lot of FCs, and a factory reset did not work.
Thanks jim...you preorder yours? Cant wait to see what you come up with for it!

Sent from my MB865 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ODIN V3.07 for Galaxy SIII

1iyc6b.jpg

Warning: Using ODIN can change your bootloader to show that the system is MODIFIED and may increase your ODIN flash count. This may void your Warrenty. There are currently no confirmed methods to reset the ODIN count or remove the Triangle and Modified tag. The current Triangle Away and JIG may or may not work. Use at your own risk! ~thanks to pinoymutt for the warning.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

I am not responsible for anything that happens due to you reading this thread!

In order to use Odin you will need the Samsung drivers:

Samsung USB Drivers (Needed for Odin to recognize your phone
    Drivers from Samsung's Site OR Mirror

ODIN is for Windows users only - For Linus or Mac us Heimdall found HERE
    Instructions for using odin

NOTICE: I am not responsible for anything that may happen if you chose to use the below instructions... If your phone blows up... suck it up... and go buy new one!

Step 1: Download and Install Necessary Drivers
    Drivers from Samsung's Site
    OR Mirror

Step 2: Download and Install Odin 3.04

Odin 3.04
    OR Mirror

Step 3: On your Galaxy S3 got to Settings/Developer Options/USB Debuging -> check the box next to USB debugging -> say OK to security warning

Step 4: Turn your phone off

Step 5. Press Volume Down + Home (Center Button) + Power until the phone boots up to Warning screen

Step 6. Press Volume up once to enter download mode

Step 7. Open Odin3.04 by running as administrator and make sure all check boxes on in the
    Option section are unchecked except for Auto Reboot

Step 8. Plug your phone in to the USB cable and wait for the phone to be recognized by ODIN... When the phone is recognized the first rectangle under the Odin3 logo will turn yellow and show a com port

Step 9. Click on the
    PDA button and select your .tar file

Step 10. make sure no other boxes other than Auto-Reboot are checked and hit
    Start.

Step 11. Wait for the process to complete

MOST OF THE THINGS YOU WILL USE ODIN FOR (IE: ROMS & KERNELS) will use the PDA button - The Phone button is for Modems and Radios only and using it to flash anything else can and will brick your phone - In my time using ODIN I have never used Bootloader, CSC, UMS, or PIT files....

Yes the Galaxy 3 has an ODIN counter and a Modification Check which will change to show modified when a Custom Rom has been installed...

Yes it is possible that upon returning or submitting your phone for repairs the person might check your odin count...

with that being said...

ODIN is used to flash factory firmware on an uprooted phone or ROMs, Kernels and Modems on a Rooted phone... SO - if you did not root your phone and used ODIN to flash factory signed tars then there will be no increase in Odin count and download mode will not show MODIFIED.

IF you are rooted, then your phone is already warranty-less so the increase in ODIN count is not going to matter..

Second.... Triangle Away has nothing to do with the Processor... and everything to do with the firmware - The app works on the GSIII and resets odin counter but will not remove modified label. However if you are returning your phone for repair you will have to revert to stock firmware and this will automatically remove the modified tag as also mentioned in Chainfire's thread.

Finally... The USB jig has worked on every galaxy since the first. On the epic touch there was a small modification to the kernel to support the ICS firmware. There is no foreseeable reason why the jig wont work on the US version of the SIII.

With all that being said... its good to be aware of what pinoymutt said... but don't panic and educate yourself before using anything from XDA
    First off, I've been on here longer than you have, no need to name call because you think you came up with some awesome reason to be thanked for your incessant warnings.... Second off, so someone bricked their phone, it's going to happen, it happens to devs all the time and they KNOW what they're doing! Don't use that as fuel for this unnecessary fire you're trying to spread! Warnings will be stated clearly on any type of modifications to the phone, if they aren't, feel free to let them know if they leave them out, but quit badgering people on every thread about your fears just because you have a hard time sleeping at night........

Wow... "I've been here longer than you have!" What are you, 13 years old?

Tell you what, I've said my piece on the whole counter matter, I'll change the title to be more clear on the other thread for those that give a crap about warranty, and we'll leave it at that so that "I can sleep better at night" because apparently I'm only in the game to get recognition and thanks - and we'll let "real posters" get back to work.

Both of yall drop it! next time I see both of yall arguing an cluttering up a thread. Infractions might have to be handed out.

with that being said...

Uhh, sorry to have to disagree on a few different fronts, but here are a few items:

1. Even flashing "factory" tars using Odin have sometimes tripped the counter because most released tars are leaks of some sort and may have unsigned drivers.

2. Triangle Away DOES have something to do with the CODE itself, and the code for Non-Exynos processors ARE different. In fact Chainfire himself says (from the Play Store) : "Variants that are NOT based on Exynos processors but rather on Qualcomm or Nvidia processors are NOT expected to work. I honestly would NOT try (until further notice) - examples are the Skyrocket and AT&T Note." The International SGS III is an Exynos phone - ours are not.

3. The Jig does not work for a fact on newer phones and code to reset the counter. Many people found out the hard way in the ATT SGS II forums when Sammy updated the bootloaders. Now that's not saying that mods can't be made to the kernel and loaders -- but out the box - no.

And if you look at some of the work that has been done on the Note, it IS possible to Root and to modify (and ultimately go back to stock) without tripping the counter, but it'll take extra time and extra steps.

Which again brings up the whole point that you mentioned as well -- just want folks to be informed. IF warranty means something, then do your research and flash away. If not, jump right in! :D