Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new firmware update designed for the AirTag item trackers. The update has a build number of 1A301 (firmware version 1.0.301), up from 1A291.

AitTag-New-Firmware.jpg

There's no word on what new features the firmware might add at this point in time as Apple has not provided release notes.

It is not possible to force an AirTag update, as it's something that's done over-the-air through a connected iPhone. To make sure the update happens, you can put your AirTag in range of your ‌iPhone‌, but you have to wait for the firmware to roll out to your device. You can check your current AirTag firmware version through the Find My app, with instructions available in our how to.

It is worth noting that Apple plans to provide this firmware on a rolling basis, so not everyone is going to see it right away. 1% of AirTag users will receive it today, 10% on May 3, 25% on May 9, and it will go fully live to everyone on May 13.

This staggered release timeline allows Apple to make sure the firmware update is working as intended before it is provided to all users.

Article Link: Apple Releases Firmware Update for AirTags

Last edited:

Eurisko2

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2015
See me rolling on the ground in laughter! Firmware updates for the AirTag?… mine hasn’t updated since I got it last year!
Really? I have 6 of them, and every single one updated over the last year to the current version. I haven't looked often, but I noticed various versions in the past, and they are all now on the current version. I wonder why yours isn't updating?

Andreas from Zurich

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
Looks like this story was taken down and rewritten. I can confirm what others had commented in the predecessor story: at least some AirTags now have version 1.0.291.

Attachments

• 2D9B7377-595D-438C-8F68-A552F93DD87B.jpeg
    2D9B7377-595D-438C-8F68-A552F93DD87B.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 139
Reactions: Tevosn

bag99001

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
Fingers crossed for family sharing, perhaps with iOS 15.5.
Seriously…this is one of the most obvious features that I can’t figure out why they don’t add. We have one in a remote case for our Apple TV remote we always lose but only my wife can access since we had to choose one person to associate it with. We have two cars/sets of house keys but we can only see one each. Yet it’s ok to share our phone and watch locations which are literally in our pockets or strapped to our wrist?

nicolas17

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2020
Seriously…this is one of the most obvious features that I can’t figure out why they don’t add. We have one in a remote case for our Apple TV remote we always lose but only my wife can access since we had to choose one person to associate it with. We have two cars/sets of house keys but we can only see one each. Yet it’s ok to share our phone and watch locations which are literally in our pockets or strapped to our wrist?

The way the cryptography works, it would be easy to give someone else access (just give them the keys to decrypt location reports), but hard to revoke it later. Unless you were to reset the AirTag, which you won't be able to do if it's not with you. I hope Apple will figure out a way to do it, but it's not that simple.

Note that "sharing your phone and watch location" when they're offline (via other phones nearby anonymously reporting the location) probably won't work for the same reason as AirTag. Only you can locate your offline phone from another device in your account, not your family.

nicolas17

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2020
For those waiting to get the update: note that it's currently configured to install on 1% of AirTags. In the past, Apple would later release new "updates" with identical firmware but a different deploymentLimit percentage. This time they configured the whole schedule in advance:

1%26 April 2022
10%3 May 2022
25%9 May 2022
100%13 May 2022

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
My Airtag has been complaining about low battery recently. I thought they were supposed to last a year! Oh wait...

Reactions: System603

JLD94

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2017
Texas
So I've got a question, I am thinking about purchasing some for luggage on an upcoming trip (not sure how often I will actually use them beyond that) and was checking out ebay. So If they happen to be purchased say a year ago, they would be a different firmware than something I purchased in store?

Just don't want to get something that is not going to be latest firmware as I bought some refurbished ipod pro's that I could never get to update the firmware and get the feature I was wanting.

I hope this makes sense to someone. :)

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
So I've got a question, I am thinking about purchasing some for luggage on an upcoming trip (not sure how often I will actually use them beyond that) and was checking out ebay. So If they happen to be purchased say a year ago, they would be a different firmware than something I purchased in store?

Just don't want to get something that is not going to be latest firmware as I bought some refurbished ipod pro's that I could never get to update the firmware and get the feature I was wanting.

I hope this makes sense to someone. :)
Are your APP’s shown in your device list? Have you checked them lately? I’ve never heard of them failing to ever update.

My tags haven’t updated yet but they, like my APP’s have always managed to do so.

If you get a good price on eBay (after factoring in possible battery replacement cost) then I’d recommend you set aside your fears and just buy them.

Reactions: JLD94

JustSomebody12

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2020
For those waiting to get the update: note that it's currently configured to install on 1% of AirTags. In the past, Apple would later release new "updates" with identical firmware but a different deploymentLimit percentage. This time they configured the whole schedule in advance:

1%26 April 2022
10%3 May 2022
25%9 May 2022
100%13 May 2022
Where did you get those percentages?

Reactions: TheOldChevy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.