Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henrymls

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2015
Have been having issues charging my Apple Watch series 7. Getting the watch replaced on Monday but was wondering if anyone else has that problem. The watch randomly stops charging and does not charge, I have to remove the watch from the charger several times to get it to start charging again, not even then does it continue charging. The watch has been reset several times and charger bricks changed as well, same worth he charging cable.

Andimansbrain

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2021
Until yesterday there were no problems on my side, but yesterday may Apple Watch did not charge and there were also some files in the Apple Watch App on my iPhone. I charged the Apple Watch on my wifes Series 5 charger and it was on 100 % after night. Today the usage is normal and I hope charging later will be as well. Did you also had some files in the Apple Watch App?

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
No charging problem with my S7.
I think Apple recommends using the 20w USB-C charger they sell separately, though.
That’s what I use. Works great.

i love my battery so far. I can charge it in the morning on day 1, use it all day, do the sleep tracking at night, and then still have 33% left to use on day 2 until I decide to charge it again - all with AOD turned on.

Maybe you just received a bad one? ?‍♂️

henrymls

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2015
Until yesterday there were no problems on my side, but yesterday may Apple Watch did not charge and there were also some files in the Apple Watch App on my iPhone. I charged the Apple Watch on my wifes Series 5 charger and it was on 100 % after night. Today the usage is normal and I hope charging later will be as well. Did you also had some files in the Apple Watch App?
I am sure there will be files ha, just replacing it for now. Hope that solves the problem

henrymls

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2015
No charging problem with my S7.
I think Apple recommends using the 20w USB-C charger they sell separately, though.
That’s what I use. Works great.

i love my battery so far. I can charge it in the morning on day 1, use it all day, do the sleep tracking at night, and then still have 33% left to use on day 2 until I decide to charge it again - all with AOD turned on.

Maybe you just received a bad one? ?‍♂️
I have used all chargers available from the small brick to the large iPad brick to the new Mac usb-c charging. my understanding is that the difference lies in the cable for the fast charging and then ultimately the charging brick, but yes hope it was just a bad one actually will try and use the previous generation cable this morning since I am not getting it charged at the moment.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Yes i do have the exact same problem on my S7. My S4 always goes up to 100%!but sometimes my S7 won’t charge. It will charge for a couple of mins then just stops.
It happens on the regular puck Belkin 3 in 1 not the fast one.

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
Yes twice in the last two weeks I’ve woken up and it’s not charged, have to restart it then it starts charging, SS 45mm, no issues with my aluminium 45mm, sounds like a software issue to me.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
Have been having issues charging my Apple Watch series 7. Getting the watch replaced on Monday but was wondering if anyone else has that problem. The watch randomly stops charging and does not charge, I have to remove the watch from the charger several times to get it to start charging again, not even then does it continue charging. The watch has been reset several times and charger bricks changed as well, same worth he charging cable.

Yes i do have the exact same problem on my S7. My S4 always goes up to 100%!but sometimes my S7 won’t charge. It will charge for a couple of mins then just stops.
It happens on the regular puck Belkin 3 in 1 not the fast one.

Yes twice in the last two weeks I’ve woken up and it’s not charged, have to restart it then it starts charging, SS 45mm, no issues with my aluminium 45mm, sounds like a software issue to me.

Are you guys using a rubber nightstand for charging that you insert the charging puck in like this..?
FEC93E4F-3B76-4CE4-B0D3-6EF0B608BA76.jpeg

I have two of these, one Spigen brand and other I cannot remember. One at the office and one at home. With my S4 I had no problem. But with the S7 and new puck I noticed sometimes it wouldnt charge or would intermittently charge and stop, back and forth. Once I took the charging puck out and didn’t use the rubber nightstand, the charging issues ceased.

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
Yep, thanks for the info although kinda stuck with the need to keep the Watch upright due to the bands I use, does the apple official charger with the adjustable puck in the centre provide fast charging ?

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Are you guys using a rubber nightstand for charging that you insert the charging puck in like this..?
View attachment 1904922

I have two of these, one Spigen brand and other I cannot remember. One at the office and one at home. With my S4 I had no problem. But with the S7 and new puck I noticed sometimes it wouldnt charge or would intermittently charge and stop, back and forth. Once I took the charging puck out and didn’t use the rubber nightstand, the charging issues ceased.

I have a Spigen one like this which I’ve put the fast charging puck in but I’m using a Belkin 3 in 1 charger which is more convenient for me than using a separate charger.

Reactions: CaptMarvel

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
I have a Spigen one like this which I’ve put the fast charging puck in but I’m using a Belkin 3 in 1 charger which is more convenient for me than using a separate charger.

I’m torn. I’ve seen high praise for the Belkin 3-in-1, but the puck isnt fast charging yet as it preceded the S7 release. If they update then I’ll probably purchase because fast charging is my favorite feature of the S7.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I’m torn. I’ve seen high praise for the Belkin 3-in-1, but the puck isnt fast charging yet as it preceded the S7 release. If they update then I’ll probably purchase because fast charging is my favorite feature of the S7.
Yes. The fast charging is really a lot faster ? this is out of my expectation.

henrymls

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2015
Just got the new watch for the replacement, seems to be charging and behaving better from the get go. Happy I got it changed out. Will be keeping my eye on the charging behavior for the next week or so, but have a feeling it's resolved. Just as a note the previous series 7 watch did not want to charge at all yesterday so just repacked it and sent it back.

Reactions: twinpeaks_sf

twinpeaks_sf

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2015
Lamorinda, CA, USA
I've been having the same issue as OP a few times now, resolved only by rebooting the watch – which makes me suspect it's a software issue, but who knows.

I had a similar problem with my previous stainless steel Series 4 using Apple's Magnetic Charging Dock, where it would jump between charging and not charging. I'd hear the ^ding^ of it resuming charging throughout the night. In that case, I think the weight of the casing and band pulled it ever so slightly off the puck.

I'm going to wait out another watchOS update (but don't begrudge others for seeking a replacement sooner). The fact that a restart resolves it smells like a software thing.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Both my wife and I got our S7s recently. We both have had issues were we place our watches on the charger and come back and the watch hasn't charged - it's only happened to me once and just happened to my wife.

We both switched to the new watch charger (USB C) with a 20w+ brick and watch resumed charging. I resumed using my old watch USB A chargers and have had no problems for the last 3-4 days. But we both had an incident where that happened (but just once).

henrymls

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2015
I've been having the same issue as OP a few times now, resolved only by rebooting the watch – which makes me suspect it's a software issue, but who knows.

I had a similar problem with my previous stainless steel Series 4 using Apple's Magnetic Charging Dock, where it would jump between charging and not charging. I'd hear the ^ding^ of it resuming charging throughout the night. In that case, I think the weight of the casing and band pulled it ever so slightly off the puck.

I'm going to wait out another watchOS update (but don't begrudge others for seeking a replacement sooner). The fact that a restart resolves it smells like a software thing.
I was considering doing the same, but the watch stopped charging al together. To have a working watch, glad I did the swap, but if it starts happening again I will have to make to work and go your route and wait for a software update. I was wondering if it was a software issue or a hardware issue. Seems like it could be software, since the only thing that changed was the quick charging in this regard.

sasparilla1

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
No Problems with 2* s7 watches 41mm

Iam charging with the old apple dockingstation…

0-100 in about 2,5 hours

henrymls

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2015
Both my wife and I got our S7s recently. We both have had issues were we place our watches on the charger and come back and the watch hasn't charged - it's only happened to me once and just happened to my wife.

We both switched to the new watch charger (USB C) with a 20w+ brick and watch resumed charging. I resumed using my old watch USB A chargers and have had no problems for the last 3-4 days. But we both had an incident where that happened (but just once).
It does seem like a softwares issue. I tried all different various methods of charing my watch, became problematic. So far so good on the replacement but I might be in for some of the same behavior from the watch if it is software.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

twinpeaks_sf

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2015
Lamorinda, CA, USA
I was considering doing the same, but the watch stopped charging al together. To have a working watch, glad I did the swap, but if it starts happening again I will have to make to work and go your route and wait for a software update. I was wondering if it was a software issue or a hardware issue. Seems like it could be software, since the only thing that changed was the quick charging in this regard.
Since you couldn't get it to charge at all, you made the right choice to swap. I hope you have better luck with the new one.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I have been charging my S7 on my series 0 charging puck from 2015. I put it on overnight and it’s at 100% in the morning though I don’t know how long it takes to charge.

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I had the same problem with my Nike series 6 apple replaced it with a new one so far so good . Thought that problem was over for the series 7

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Having the same issue OP. At first I was blaming the our Belkin Boost Up Dock, but then I put it on the stock puck that has always worked and the issue happened again. Each time is shows as charging, I walk away and come back later to find out it stopped.

I just rebooted and that seems to have helped. I didn’t have this issue when I first got the watch so this really does feel like a software issue with the current version.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Yeah I just had this happen again to me today. Really hope the next watch OS fixes this. What annoys me is that both the times I caught the watch doing this, it was warm so something's flowing? Really hope it isn't just cooking the battery.

The fact that my watch and my wife's watch is doing this - I highly doubt it's a hardware problem - it doesn't happen consistently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.