Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amethyst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
I got some info about next workstation class mac, list below.

- It will be called Mac Studio
- Powered by M1 max 2x
- 20 CPU cores and 48 GPU cores
- Low-end mac display (but the prices not seem to be low) will be call Apple 5K display
- As i have seen only front of display, it closely resemble of what Apple Pro Display XDR look like.
- i've not seen the back and the side of display, so cannot tell anything about stand and back design. (is it sell separately etc)

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
I got some info about next workstation class mac, list below.

- It will be called Mac Studio

Doubtful, too close in name to Surface Studio, and why drop the Mac Pro branding that has been around for sixteen years...?

- Powered by M1 max 2x

This tracks with all other rumors about Jade2C & the ASi Mac Pro...

- 20 CPU cores and 48 GPU cores

Why would Apple use binned SoCs in their flagship product...?

Dual M1 Max SoCs means 64 GPU cores (2 x 32)...

Reactions: NC12 and SigEp265

Amethyst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
From what i know, Mac Pro name may not be drop but we will got Mac Studio.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
From what i know, Mac Pro name may not be drop but we will got Mac Studio.
That would make sense, they have to differentiate the intel Mac Pro successor from the Apple SoC version, hence a new name. It’s a fork in the road In Apple’s product portfolio.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Doubtful, too close in name to Surface Studio, and why drop the Mac Pro branding that has been around for sixteen years...?

Maybe because they've now produced a processor called the "M1 Pro" which isn't their most powerful processor.

Also, a 2x Max isn't going to "replace" a 28 core Xeon with 1.5TB RAM and multiple full-size workstation GPUs - so the current Intel Mac Pro may still be around for a while and/or Apple might decide to get out of that end of the market - which is the hardest one for Apple Silicon to penetrate.

Giving this rumour the benefit of the doubt, "Mac Studio" sounds more like the smaller Mac Pro variant that has been rumoured. Hopefully it will be priced to fit the hole created in 2019 when they doubled the starting price of the Mac Pro (effectively more than doubled, because the $6k Mac Pro config just didn't make sense...)

Same reason as they use binned chips in the 14" MacBook Pro and MacBook Air - to offer an attractive base price that minimises "sticker shock" and then up-sell customers to the higher options.

Amethyst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
I have got some info, that the machine i saw maybe not only config in the line-up. (aka you maysee 10/24 10/32 or 20/64 mac studio)

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Thanks for the great report Amethyst. So it looks like the Apple Silicon Mac Pro may indeed be called Mac Studio. 'Mac Pro' may remain an Intel product line.

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
Thanks for the great report Amethyst. So it looks like the Apple Silicon Mac Pro may indeed be called Mac Studio. 'Mac Pro' may remain an Intel product line.
Seems like they will keep Mac Pro, they just don’t have a chip that’s quite ready for that level of performance yet.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany

With 2 of those chips in the same package they might hit a thermal limit at that point.

Or maybe the interconnect between the chips can only service a certain number of cores.

Or it is simple the base model with a full DoubleMax as BTO.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
48 GPU cores seems short of what they'd need to compete in high end graphics. But this machine sounds much more audio or lower end graphics focused. Even for FCPX it will be pretty nimble even if it didn't wade into the high end 3D rendering space.

So clearly still a place for the Mac Pro, while this machine could better fill it's niche.

Reactions: Argoduck

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
With the removal of discrete GPUs and the move to TB4/USB4, I really see no need for PCIe slots in a Mac Pro/Cube/Studio/whatever...

Excuse me while I duck for cover...! ;^p
Agreed. I think the full size Mac Pro may be the only Mac with PCIe slots. But who knows, maybe they will create MPX modules for both the Mac studio and Mac Pro to lower production costs.

Reactions: natallica

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
With the removal of discrete GPUs and the move to TB4/USB4, I really see no need for PCIe slots in a Mac Pro/Cube/Studio/whatever...

Excuse me while I duck for cover...! ;^p

Agreed. I think the full size Mac Pro may be the only Mac with PCIe slots. But who knows, maybe they will create MPX modules for both the Mac studio and Mac Pro to lower production costs.

The only other product that uses the MPX slot is the Promise Pegasus R4i 32TB (four 8TB HDDs) RAID MPX module...?

And the MPX modules are SO long (same with the Pro Tools HDX cards), they demand more depth to a chassis than I could see in a new Cube; an external TB4/USB4 M.2 NVMe SSD RAID box seems more desktop real estate friendly...?

Sonnet has some neat products that offer either desktop or rackmount for external PCIe expansion, and they will fit the long-boi HDX cards...

Yeah, I want to see a new ASi Mac Cube...!

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
And the MPX modules are SO long (same with the Pro Tools HDX cards), they demand more depth to a chassis than I could see in a new Cube; an external TB4/USB4 M.2 NVMe SSD RAID box seems more desktop real estate friendly...?

The way the Mac Studio has been described (closer to a Mac mini than a Mac Pro) I would not expect to see any MPX slots at all. I'd be surprised if there are any PCIe slots, but it's possible there could be half length slots.

Also the MPX branding is a nice way to deal with that. MPX stands for Mac Pro Expansion. No reason to think an MPX card would work with a Mac Studio instead of a Mac Pro.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
The way the Mac Studio has been described (closer to a Mac mini than a Mac Pro) I would not expect to see any MPX slots at all. I'd be surprised if there are any PCIe slots, but it's possible there could be half length slots.

I, personally, don't care for any PCIe slots, as long as there is sufficient TB4/USB4 ports available; I also really want to see a new Cube, so "third time's the charm" for me...! ;^p

Also the MPX branding is a nice way to deal with that. MPX stands for Mac Pro Expansion. No reason to think an MPX card would work with a Mac Studio instead of a Mac Pro.

Well, I was responding to another poster who was hypothesizing about Apple creating MPX modules for both the Mac Pro & Mac Studio (and yes, I know MPX is an acronym for Mac Pro eXpansion)...

I am excited to see what a Mac Studio might actually be, and I would also await pricing with trepidation, expecting a high-end price somewhere between US$10K & US$15K for a top spec dual SoC model with a 7K display...?

I will go forward with plans to get a M1 Max Mac mini & use my existing displays (27" 1920x1080 & 32" 2560x1440) for now; but by the time the high-end M3 (Pro/Max/Ultra) models roll out I might be ready to upgrade it all...?

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Will they have Phil Collins sing "Sussudio" for dat Mac Studio?

Sorry bruh, beat you to it...! ;^p

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
The only other product that uses the MPX slot is the Promise Pegasus R4i 32TB (four 8TB HDDs) RAID MPX module...?

Sonnet has some neat products that offer either desktop or rackmount for external PCIe expansion, and they will fit the long-boi HDX cards...

Yeah, I want to see a new ASi Mac Cube...!
You’re thinking within the limits of the 2019 slots. Apple could create a new MPX expansion where you can order the full size card for MP or the half size card for Mac studio (size here talking about length, not height). The afterburner motherboard for example only took up about half the length of the actual card itself.

To be fair, I don’t think Apple will do this (as MPX literally stands for Mac Pro expansion) but who knows. We also don’t know that it’s a cube. Nobody has confirmed that aspect. We just know it’s at least half the size of the Mac Pro.

I personally would welcome Mpx modules because I do not want to get an external PCIe chassis. I have an eGPU now and I honestly hate it (love the performance not the box). I would love to add more storage (maybe ram?) and other things to my Mac studio. Also if this is marketed towards audio engineers and video editors, for our respective studios, we really do still need PCIe slots.

sn1p3r845

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2012
Vancouver, BC
this would make the most sense to me, which is good because I wanted a refreshed Intel Mac Pro. I don't think the Apple Silicon chips are ready for that level, and I think a lot of developers are still working out the kinks with their software for the chips. I'm sure there's a lot of people out there that rely on stability day-to-day.

Reactions: MisterAndrew

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
so were finally getting the long pined for xMac. Can't wait for everybody to STILL complain

That depends if it has slots or if it is a TB4/USB4 expansion only situation...

And people will still complain because they still want that sub US$2k xMac mini tower with the ability to upgrade everything and use third-party GPUs, including Nvidia...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.