Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
It's interesting to see where his mindset is at because with the latest Apple Watch they started adding sensors of dubious quality and utility (the 02 monitor which from many account does not work well compared to a pulse oximeter) and have extended the existing sensors for questionable utility (handwashing detection).

I think they're up against the laws of human physiology and that advancements will probably require locations other than just the wrist—an area that is usually in movement and where the watch is also not firmly adhered. So far from my perspective there are two health sensors: the EKG and the LED reflectance. The first, the EKG, is not as good as Kardia's options (Apple Watch does not detect a-fib above pulse of 120 which a person with a-fib would often have). The second from most accounts seems to be good for the industry (for pulse, not really good at all for 02).

I could be wrong in that they might have some magical way to do more on the wrist. But the predictions of blood pressure monitoring have not come to pass.

If I were Apple, I'd do something like add snore detection with the microphone where it taps you to encourage you to turn on your side when you snore. There are medical devices that do that already and they could enter that space, but it might require FDA approval since it gets into the disease space of apnea.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Monitor everything about your health. Sounds like a real treat for the psychosomatic among us.?? There is such a thing as information overload, which is why I stay away from these health monitors. If a doctor prescribes it, I'll wear one. Otherwise ignorance is bliss.?

This is also a reason I let the doctors diagnose my illness instead of trusting in WebMD.

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
Has a love for nature yet is one of the biggest parts in making this world a technological cesspit. He’s deluded. At this rate, in 25yrs we will all be mixing with AI and slaves to the system. If he loves nature so much then leave Apple and encourage going back to the pre internet age. Ever since the internet has taken over, quality of life has gone down.
Ned Ludd... is that you???

Dec 9, 2020
What a joke... Tim Cook talking to “Outside Magazine”... how about you quit treating the public like sheep & release a 114 gram 5G capable phone again like the OGSE. Because that is what backpackers use, not all the phablets you created under your regime.

Also, how about actually releasing an iPhone that can actually transmit 320kbps audio to your ears like the iPhone OGSE can do with much less weight than any phablet released post March 2016. The new Headphones are a joke and the entire planet sees through your lies and manipulation. These $550 headphones you are trying to sell are not even capable of delivering 320 kbps audio.

The headphones for the iPhone 6S & 6S+ deliver a bigger sound spectrum and cost less than 25 cents to produce. They deliver a cleaner and crisper sound than any AirPod, AirPod Pro or AirPod Pro Max.

People who read this magazine want devices that help propel them further with less payload & to experience sound closer to way the artist intended.

There is a significant audio latency issue with every iPhone released since the iPhone 7. I can’t use any iPhone because you see people’s lips move but the words come out half a second afterwards. When you watch a film and an explosion happens, there is a delay in the audio hitting your ear through Bluetooth or the lightning port. Even when you don’t use an audio device and are playing something on Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube or Hulu...even the Apple Keynotes have a half a second audio delay.

I guess this is to make customers dumber so they just accept what the corporations seek to indoctrinate them with. You take away people’s ability to hear clearly, and it is easier to manipulate them to do things they otherwise wouldn’t do...like pay $550 for crappy headphones that can’t beat the 3.5mm Apple headphones:eek:

Attachments

• CCB169C6-B65E-4E91-BDA1-30E65812E13C.jpeg
    CCB169C6-B65E-4E91-BDA1-30E65812E13C.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
My $0.02:

Constant monitoring of health isn’t automatically insidious; it’s the perspective of what’s done with the data that determines if constant monitoring is becoming ’unethical’. As others have said, the fact that we even have the ability to consistently monitor some anthropometrics is remarkable, and can provide a better quality of life for some folks with more serious health concerns. Relatedly, having so much data actually provides more information with which to understand the diversity of physiological patterns across people, which ultimately leads to a better understanding of human physiology. The reason we have better medical guidance than 100 years ago, and even 1000 years ago, is because of more data. The mindset of ‘constant monitoring is bad’ completely ignores the scientific utility of monitoring (and, in some circumstances, constant monitoring).

Similarly, constant connection isn’t automatically insidious either. Again, for some, having the ability to immediately contact loved ones, or maybe emergency services, has actually provided more peace-of-mind, allowing the live a more fulfilling life.

If some folks don’t want some physiometrics to be constantly monitored, then don’t get a Watch. Pretty simple solution, yeah?

If people want to disconnect, then turn off your device(s), and go outside (weather permitting ?). Another pretty simple solution, yeah?

I think we all should try to take a step back from ‘the ledge’ of dichotomous and catastrophic thinking, and practice a more balanced perspective. No one is disputing that we’re living in an increasingly connected world, and that daily life, and existence itself, is becoming more integrated with our electronic technology, but what if we control when/how to use this technology, and our conceptualization of the use and potential of our technology doesn’t have to be so binary, so ‘good or bad’.

IMHO, Apple is pushing an ‘ecofuturism’ vision, one with which I agree, which is why I continue to try to make informed decisions on staying in their ecosystem. Having a cellular Watch has allowed me to leave my phone behind, and disconnect in a lot of ways when I’m out-and-about in the world (most notifications are off except major points of contact with loved ones in case of emergencies).

And let me try to address this now: there is no compelling evidence to support the ‘medicine is a conspiracy to keep people sick because there’s more money in the treatment than the cure’. Our best, most often pushed, evidence-based medical recommendations are based on primary prevention to help avoid medical concerns as best we can: eat healthfully, exercise regularly, get good sleep! If there was actually some conspiracy to keep people sick so we can squeeze more money out of them, physicians would be recommending everyone eat whatever the heck they want, sit on their bums all day, and who cares about sleep?! ? <- and that’s just one of many arguments against the ’medical profit conspiracy’.

TL;DR: Everyone, we have a lot more options now than we ever have, and we can actually mix our electronic technology into our lives in varying degrees, to suit our needs and wishes. It’s actually not ‘caveman or full cybernetics, no in-between!’

Okay, finished. Open to respectful academic discourse. ??‍?

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
I've been saying all along that Apple should release a pared down Apple Watch more akin to the bands already on the market (FitBit Inspire/Charge, Mi Band, etc.).
these devices already exist so why do we need Apple to make it? So that people can have the Apple fashion for the price of a Fitbit? Because we know it won’t be the price of a Fitbit.

Reactions: PC_tech

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
You can get one of those knockoff watches from China for 20 bucks with all these sensors . Nothing new or suprising .

Reactions: Sanme

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
You eventually reach a point of diminishing returns with monitoring everything all the time... we could do an MRI scan of every healthy person every day and find something “wrong” with them. But does that really lead to a healthier life? Or does it, rather, lead to more unnecessary medical procedures, more reliance on pharmaceuticals, more time spent in the hospital, more fear and worry?
Tell that to all the doctors who can't figure out what causes depression and anxiety. "You're perfectly healthy - although you suffer from dizziness, vertigo, shortness of breath, nausea, headaches - your MRI came back perfect!"

Sanme

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2017
I second that!!! Having to change my Dexcom every 10 days is a bit of a pain. I thought that Apple was trying to incorporate a glucose sensor into the Apple watch
If Apple integrated that you’ll have to charge your Apple Watch every 12 hours

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.