Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justinhill

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Bay Area
I've noticed on my iPhone XS that if I am scrolling through something, say a webpage in Safari, when I lift my finger for around 10 seconds to read something, my phone stutters for a hundred milliseconds or so when I start scrolling again. Seems small, but it's very distracting, and the 6s I'm coming from doesn't do this. Had anyone else noticed this issue?

My current theory is Apple's performance controller is aggressively throttling on idle to save battery. Really hoping this isn't intended behavior.

exgymnast

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2015
Yes, mine stutters too plus I am having calls fail and have to reset network settings to get it to work right. I am hoping it is just my phone as I am going to try to swap out this week.

Vexxx

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Happened to me with Xs Max.

Also think that it is throttling to save battery. But I thought that it was because reading on larger screen takes longer (there is more text on screen) and treshold for idle throttling is exceeded. Came to that conclusion because it did not occur on my iPhone X.

Reactions: DempaX

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Yes, mine stutters too plus I am having calls fail and have to reset network settings to get it to work right. I am hoping it is just my phone as I am going to try to swap out this week.

Have a look at the burgeoning reception thread. If I were you, I'd be returning it.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
It seems that the stutter isn’t limited to scrolling. If I open an app, let it sit for 10 seconds, then swipe home, the minimize animation stutters. Seems to be more noticeable when apps are located at the bottom of your home screen.

Reactions: justinhill

justinhill

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Bay Area
It seems that the stutter isn’t limited to scrolling. If I open an app, let it sit for 10 seconds, then swipe home, the minimize animation stutters. Seems to be more noticeable when apps are located at the bottom of your home screen.

I also noticed this after I started the thread.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Zdodo

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2016
I have this exact same issue. Very visible on apps such as Instagram and Snapchat. Also happens if you scroll back and forth, by lifting your thumb (not on Safari though). Do you guys believe its reason to return our devices or rather that this is software, and others have not yet noticed this (took me about two days)? Very disturbing.

Reactions: Chrisjmv

justinhill

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Bay Area
I have this exact same issue. Very visible on apps such as Instagram and Snapchat. Also happens if you scroll back and forth, by lifting your thumb (not on Safari though). Do you guys believe its reason to return our devices or rather that this is software, and others have not yet noticed this (took me about two days)? Very disturbing.

I have been going through some steps with Apple support to see if the issue can be resolved without returning the phone. I didn't have time last night to complete all the things they recommended, but they were essentially 'did you try hard restarting it, let's try re-flashing iOS, let's try re-restoring from your iCloud backup after you've re-flashed'. Things I don't think will actually resolve the issue, but are the type of hoops they typically have you jump through before offering you a solution that costs them money.

I'll make sure to report back if/when I reach a resolution with support.

Edit: Also, fwiw, my brother doesn't seem to be having this issue with his XS, so it's entirely possible that it's a hardware problem.

mcmanus7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
Where did all of your phones originate from? (if you pre-ordered). Also what models and colours?

Might be interesting to see if they all came from the same factory.

I have a 256GB XS in Space Grey and can't say I've noticed this issue.

Zdodo

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2016
I have been going through some steps with Apple support to see if the issue can be resolved without returning the phone. I didn't have time last night to complete all the things they recommended, but they were essentially 'did you try hard restarting it, let's try re-flashing iOS, let's try re-restoring from your iCloud backup after you've re-flashed'. Things I don't think will actually resolve the issue, but are the type of hoops they typically have you jump through before offering you a solution that costs them money.

I'll make sure to report back if/when I reach a resolution with support.

Edit: Also, fwiw, my brother doesn't seem to be having this issue with his XS, so it's entirely possible that it's a hardware problem.

Thanks, that would be highly appreciated. For what it’s worth, I went to the store earlier today, and checked whether this was happening on the display models (1 XS Max and 2 XS’s). It did on all three.
[doublepost=1537827774][/doublepost]
Where did all of your phones originate from? (if you pre-ordered). Also what models and colours?

Might be interesting to see if they all came from the same factory.

I have a 256GB XS in Space Grey and can't say I've noticed this issue.

I live in Finland, bought it from a local BestBuy equivalent. Space Gray 64gb.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
256 silver XS from U.S.

Still doing it today.

Currently typing this from my old iPhone X, which does not stutter the slightest bit.

MOTiiVHATE`

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2015
Getting this as well. Letting an app sit idle for 10-15 seconds then swiping it away is a pretty sure way to replicate the issue.

I too believe it’s either throttling for better battery, or the lower power cores need some optimization.

MOTiiVHATE`

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2015
FWIW I couldn’t replicate this on any of the display XS’s or XS Max’s that I looked at today. Hopefully a bug Apple will sort out.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
FWIW I couldn’t replicate this on any of the display XS’s or XS Max’s that I looked at today. Hopefully a bug Apple will sort out.
Really? That’s interesting. I can replicate it with 100% consistency. Open app, don’t touch the screen for 10 seconds, then scroll or swipe home. Display models weren’t stuttering at all when doing that?

MOTiiVHATE`

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2015
Really? That’s interesting. I can replicate it with 100% consistency. Open app, don’t touch the screen for 10 seconds, then scroll or swipe home. Display models weren’t stuttering at all when doing that?
I can replicate it on my XS but not on any of the four of the display models I checked.

I’m pretty sure it has to do with the cpu throttling. I tried to replicate the issue while recording the screen to add to my bug report but it wouldn’t lag.

justinhill

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Bay Area
I can replicate it on my XS but not on any of the four of the display models I checked.

I’m pretty sure it has to do with the cpu throttling. I tried to replicate the issue while recording the screen to add to my bug report but it wouldn’t lag.

I had the same experience recording. That’s what initially led me to believe the problem was caused by throttling. I was able to repro it on the display phones at Apple yesterday. Essentially what they told me is to hope that 12.1 fixes the issue. So far it does not. I installed the beta. No improvement.

MOTiiVHATE`

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2015
I had the same experience recording. That’s what initially led me to believe the problem was caused by throttling. I was able to repro it on the display phones at Apple yesterday. Essentially what they told me is to hope that 12.1 fixes the issue. So far it does not. I installed the beta. No improvement.

I installed the beta as well hoping it was already fixed. Should see beta 2 early next week so we’ll see.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
If it’s not fixed next week, I’m returning it and sticking to my X. $1,000 for an upgrade shouldn’t be giving me a lesser performance. The camera and speakers sure are nice, but I was never once dissatisfied with my X.

MOTiiVHATE`

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2015
If it’s not fixed next week, I’m returning it and sticking to my X. $1,000 for an upgrade shouldn’t be giving me a lesser performance. The camera and speakers sure are nice, but I was never once dissatisfied with my X.

That’s my plan as well. The stuttering isn’t the end of the world but it’s pretty frustrating considering my X feels like the better phone.

alisex747

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
Hello,

I have the same issue on my Iphone XS (bought in France).
This is very noticeable after app idle for 10-15 seconds then swiping it away.
I went this morning to an Apple reseller and I could not see this issue on the 3 iPhone XS and XS Max that I tested (I repeated it several times to be 100% sure).
Therefore, it seems that the issue occurs on some XS/XS Max but not on other. Very strange.
I am not sure that Apple will fix it in the future if only few devices are impacted.

Do you have update on your side ?

Thanks

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA

tried 5 times and my max doesnt do it

treyhunnid

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2018
cant duplicate this with any app. safari, chase, words with friends, iMessage. all smooth for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.