Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
I just modified some .kext files to tell when my mbp to kick in the fans and to run them a bit faster. Now my processor is 40˚f-50˚f cooler, and 5˚c-10˚c for all you out of the usa. Battery life is maybe 5min shorter, and the fans are not all that much louder.

50% cpu with modifications is the same as my idle temps before and 100% cpu with mods is like 50%cpu without mods.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
ok i will write up some instuctions. please note i only have tested this on my mbp, but should work on any apple laptop running osx. heck any apple computer with fans running os x.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
Instructions

wrote it up in textedit. My first tutorial, so anybody who could comment on how well it was written and easy to use would be great. made it a pdf to upload it.

edit: took down old instructions due to them beign wrong.

Attachments

• Cooler Apple.pdf
    41.6 KB · Views: 31,369

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
it should. in fact im going to try it out on my dual g5 pm in a few moments.
whoops never mind. Im sure it would work but i cant restart it. Ever since my mbp it just sits their downloading crap, day and night has been for past month

kondspi

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
NC
Thanks. I'm thinking of hanging tight until someone else tries it on their iBook 1st.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
kondspi said:
Thanks. I'm thinking of hanging tight until someone else tries it on their iBook 1st.
Yes, I'd like to see someone else test this before I do on my MB...

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
wow... i wish i still had my g3 ibook. RIP. not from this i assure you though. The HD died off a couple years ago and sold it to a vendor for a for the ram in my g5.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
come on someone other than me has to do this and proves that it works. also this was my first tutorial, and would like some feedback on it even if you dont actually do it.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I'd suggest putting your tutorial directly in your post, not as a separate PDF - people are lazy :p

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
for the quote "lazy people"

Instructions for a cooler apple.
***Disclaimer***
If this kills your computer I am sorry but I am not responsible. While this shouldn't do
anything bad to your computer, their is always the chance.
Some Info
This has only been tested on a 15" MBP, but should run on any apple computer
with fans and OSX. It makes the fans run at all times, and decreases battery life by
5-10min. This requires some thinking and a choice to make when selecting fan
speeds.
Steps
1. Go to the folder /system/library/Extensions/ and find Appleblower and
Applefan.
2. On Appleblower of the files right click and select show package
contents. Open the contents folder and drag the Info.plist file to the
desktop. Make a second copy if this goes horribly wrong and need a
back up. Right click it and Select open with textedit the one on the
desktop. (If it is not one of your choices select other and find it in your
applications and click open). Scroll down till text juts out the furthest
and make it look like what you see below. Note: Lets say you don't
have dualprocessorblower don't add it.
look at a later post on the next page for correct way it should look.
save this file and replace the original. it will ask for a password.
2. Go back to the extensions folder and show contents of Applefan.
Open contents and drag the info.plist to the desktop, make a back up
of this too. look at a later post on the next page on how this file should look.
3. You should have a an apple you can really call a "lap"top.

you'll get better formating if you download the pdf.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
kainjow said:
I'd suggest putting your tutorial directly in your post, not as a separate PDF - people are lazy :p

Tell me about it... :rolleyes: They can't seem to find that little extra effort to capitalize the 'B' in PowerBook. That's right... you know who you are.
pointlaugh.gif

yudilks

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
I think people are chickening out because your exaggerating "disclaimer"...

This modification will only change your Mac's fan works.. So after you change the file, you need to immediately monitor the temperature of your CPU, if it increases beyond normal, you can replace the file back with the original ones and restart your Mac...

Nightkrawler

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Vienna, Austria
Why isn't there a program for that?
I dont think that it would be too hard to write a program that edits numbers in a config file. Id really love a programm where i could edit the turn on/off temperatures of the fans like my dell notebook has, that is one point that im going to miss when im buying a mbp.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Cool, someone's figured it out at last. I'll try it if it's a case of 'second time unlucky' with the MBP repair. Not only is the temp issue unresolved, the fan has started to rattle after it came back from repair so turning it up now would drive me bonkers - I wonder if they just bent the MBP back into shape so now the fan doesn't fit properly? Wouldn't surprise me from Applecare... :rolleyes:

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Rokem said:
I just modified some .kext files to tell when my mbp to kick in the fans and to run them a bit faster. Now my processor is 40?f-50?f cooler, and 5?c-10?c for all you out of the usa. Battery life is maybe 5min shorter, and the fans are not all that much louder.

50% cpu with modifications is the same as my idle temps before and 100% cpu with mods is like 50%cpu without mods.
Didnt Apple have some problems with excessive thermal paste on the CPU therefore making it run hotter then it should? I wonder if just having the correct amount would have eliminated the need to reprogram that fan. We have had many threads on this issue of poor application of the paste.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Sesshi said:
Cool, someone's figured it out at last. I'll try it if it's a case of 'second time unlucky' with the MBP repair. Not only is the temp issue unresolved, the fan has started to rattle after it came back from repair so turning it up now would drive me bonkers - I wonder if they just bent the MBP back into shape so now the fan doesn't fit properly? Wouldn't surprise me from Applecare... :rolleyes:

Run a hardware test. Bet you'll get exactly what I got on it. They replaced both left and right side fans on mine.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Nightkrawler said:
Why isn't there a program for that?
I dont think that it would be too hard to write a program that edits numbers in a config file. Id really love a programm where i could edit the turn on/off temperatures of the fans like my dell notebook has, that is one point that im going to miss when im buying a mbp.
I was thinking about making a program that does this, but then the chance of screwing up your computer is even greater :rolleyes:

adamsen87

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2005
How high do the fans go, is it very low or is it so high tht it's irritating? Does it make it cooler when in the lap or does it just make the top cooler of the MBP cooler?

//adamsen87

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
wow thanks Nickelback for trying this. Glad it worked. I was thinking that this would be possible with php script attached to a gui. Or maybe even a automator script.

The reason i put the disclaimer in was say you had a typo in the fan speeds and the fans ran ten times slower or faster either braking your fans or overheat your comp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.